Chapter fifteen

Kara had just been able to get in about three hours of sleep when her phone rang.

"Kara, we need you." Alex sounded frantic.

"What's going on?" she asked sleepily.

"It's Mon-el." she answered.

That immediately woke her up. She hung up the phone, changed and flew straight to the DEO.

Alex ran up to the balcony as Kara flew in.

"What happened? Is he okay?" she asked as they made their way to the med bay.

But Kara's question was answered when she heard the screams.

His screams.

She ran straight past the doctors only to see him still asleep but shaking his body back and forth. His forehead was coated with sweat, his eyes shut tightly with tears streaming down his face.

Alex followed Kara as she sat next to him, holding his hand tightly while he shook.

"What's happening to him?" she asked her sister while at the height of worry.

"He was asleep for a.couple hours but about fifteen minutes ago, he began screaming and we haven't been able to wake him up." she filled her in.

Kara watched him carefully before he started to shake violently again, his screams even louder than before.

He opened his mouth and shouted, "NO!NO! STAY AWAY FROM ME! PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!! AAAAHHHHH!!!!"

"MON-EL!!! MON-EL! WAKE UP!" Kara shook him.

"NO! NO STOP! DON'T HIT ME, IM BEGGING YOU!!" he screamed as new tears replaced his old ones.

"Mon-el, this is Kara. Please, you have to wake up. You're okay. No one is going to hurt you. You're safe. Okay? MON-EL! WAKE UP!!!" she increased her volume.

His eyes sprang open and his entire body jerked forward in the bed. He was breathing heavily, his hands gripping the sides of the bed tightly.

"Mon-el?"

"Kara?" he turned to face her.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm here." she took his hand.

He said nothing. He just pulled her into his arms as he hugged her. He buried his face into her neck as his hands gripped her waist.

She wove one of her hands into his hair, the other gripping his back but not tight enough to worsen his injury. She didn't even care that he was covered in sweat. All that mattered was that he felt safe.

Not a minute had passed before he began sobbing into her shoulder. His entire body shaking as his tears clouded his eyes.

"Sshhh. Shhhh. It's okay. I'm here. I got you. You're safe." she whispered sweet nothings into his ear as she held him.

This was definitely a first for her. In the entire time she had come to know him, she had never seen him cry before. And now Lillian Luthor had reduced him to nothing but a bawling mess.

Alex decided to leave the two alone. She found herself giving a couple stern looks to some nosy DEO agents who had left their posts to come and eavesdrop. They scurried off quickly enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kara didn't know how much time had passed before he stopped crying. He pulled away from her slowly, looking down as he wiped his tears with the back of his hands.

She tried to look him in the eyes but he refused to make eye contact with her.

"I'm sorry about that." he apologized softly, still looking at the floor.