Chapter nineteen

"Hey Winn." Kara said as she approached the main room.

"Hey. Oh, I should let you know that your boyfriend threw up all over my floor. Just wanted to say thanks." he said sarcastically.

"He's not my boyfriend anymore." she quickly corrected him.

"Well, whatever he is to you, he's the reason my place smells like a combination of alcohol and vomit." he  huffed.

" Where is he now?" she asked him.

"He's back at his old room downstairs. And I only know that because Jonn saw him. He bolted as soon as he woke up this morning without saying a word." he sighed.

"Great." she made her way to Alex's lab.

On her way there, she saw him heading in the direction of his room. They both stopped at the same time, staring at each other. He looked horrible. He was still wearing the same clothes from last night and his hair was a mess. She was about to say something when he quickly bent his head down and walked into his room and slammed the door.

She continued on her way to the lab.

Well that was awkward.

She didn't blame him if he didn't want to talk to her ever again. She knew she wouldn't want to see him if he had broken up with her out of the blue for no good reason. But that didn't matter to her. All she wanted was for him to be safe. She just hoped they could still be friends despite the circumstances. He had become such an integral part of her life that if he suddenly weren't in it, she would feel as if something was missing. Whether she would admit it or not, his childish jokes and his ability to be so carefree made her day a lot easier to get through.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't realized that she had passed Alex's lab and ended up at the human resources office.

She quickly turned back to where she was headed before.

"Hey." she said deflated.

"Hey. Why were you headed to HR?" Alex asked curiously.

"I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Passed your lab straight." she admitted.

"Oh. Well while you're here, you can help me wash those test tubes." she said.

"Ugh. Fine."

"So did you talk to him?" she asked as she placed some test tube racks on the shelf.

" I don't think he wants to talk to me of all people. I saw him and he walked straight into his room without saying a word." she sighed.

"C'mon Kara, you know he's just hurting. He's not talking to you because it's probably too hard for him." she deduced.

"Just give him time. I'm sure you guys can still be friends. It's just gonna take a while." she reasoned.

"I really hope so Alex. I guess I never realized how much better my life is with him in it. Believe it or not, his childish antics made me forget the seriousness of being a hero for a while. When I was with him, I didn't really feel the weight of the world on me nearly as much." she confessed.

" Hey, if he cares about you, he will be there for you. Whether you guys are together or not." she assured Kara.

"Thanks Alex."

"Anytime."

Kara finished drying the test tubes and handed Alex the rack.

"So, how's Maggie?" she asked.

Alex's face broke out into a grin. And it stayed that way for a long time before Kara spoke again.

" Are you going to tell me why you're grinning from ear to ear?" Kara smirked.

"What? I was not grinning." Alex defended.

"You could give the Cheshire cat a run for his money." she said.

Alex scowled.

" Maggie stayed over last night." she managed to finally say.

" What??!!!" Kara exclaimed.

"Why didn't you tell me??? Oh my god!!!" she squealed.

"Shhhh!!!! I'm sorry but you were occupied with you and Mon-el, I didn't want to add that in too." Alex said.

" You could have still told me!!! I'm so happy for you Alex." Kara beamed

"Thank you Kara, it means a lot."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were interrupted by the alarms suddenly being sounded in the DEO.

"Supergirl, I'm picking up a strong radioactive frequency near L-Corp." Winn shouted over the comms.

"What is it Winn?" Kara shouted as she and Alex approached the main room.

"Kryptonite." he answered.

"Ok well I'm gonna check it out." she was about to take off.

"Oh no you're not. Not when it could kill you Kara." Alex argued.

"Alex, this is probably Metallo. It's Cadmus. I have to go." she insisted.

" My little sister who is vulnerable to kryptonite is not going on a mission where there is such a high concentration of it! Not alone!" she warned.

"Agent Danvers, organise a strike team. You will accompany Supergirl to L-Corp." Jonn instructed.

"I'm coming too." Mon-el said.

Kara's head whipped up at the sound of his voice. She didn't even know he was there. She didn't see him approach them.

She​ couldn't let him come on such a dangerous mission, especially since it was Cadmus. They could take him from her again. She couldn't let that happen.

"No, Alex and the team will suffice. There's no need for you to come with us." she insisted.

He looked taken aback for a second, trying to decide if to obey her command but he decided against it.

"Kara, you are vulnerable to kryptonite. I'm not. If something  goes wrong, you could get  hurt. You'll need the extra help. And I'm the best person to offer it." he said calmly.

She opened her mouth to argue but Jonn spoke quicker.

"Ok. It's decided. Supergirl and Mon-el will lead the mission and Alex and the team shall follow."

"Find out what Metallo wants at L-Corp. It will help us understand Cadmus' next move." he said.

Oh, she was not happy about this. She was not happy about this at all.