Chapter twenty

Kara couldn't help the thoughts that clouded her mind. She was supposed to be focused on the mission but all she could think of was Mon-el and his insistence on accompanying them. She thought he was angry at her for ending their relationship. She definitely didn't think he would want to be part of a mission that involved her but looks like she was wrong.

She was a bit peeved to say the least. She had gone to the effort of sacrificing their relationship to keep him safe from her enemies. From Cadmus. And here he was diving into a mission that Cadmus was most likely the root cause of. If he got hurt on this mission, it would be like her efforts had gone in vain.

But she couldn't think like that. She had to keep her focus. She could worry about Mon-el when this was done.

As she flew towards L-Corp, where Winn said he picked up the radioactive signature, she could see Mon-el super speeding below her. She landed outside of the building as Mon-el arrived.

Alex and her agents arrived with their guns ready waiting for command.

There he was. Corbin.

He was standing in front of the doors, preventing anyone inside from leaving. She had to evacuate the building before there were any casualties.

She turned to Mon-el, " Get everyone out of here! I'll deal with Corbin!"

"Alex, you guys stand ready!!"

Mon-el nodded before he super sped to the back of the building to find another exit for the L-Corp employees to leave unharmed.

"Ah Supergirl, what a pleasant surprise." he said walking towards her slowly.

She took a few steps back knowing very well she was vulnerable to the kryptonite pulsing in his chest.

"Corbin." she said through gritted teeth.

" What are you doing here? Are you trying to recruit Lena as part of your deranged operation?" she asked sarcastically.

" Tempting. But i would very much like to finish what we started. Let's see just how invincible you are." he laughed.

He charged her but she quickly took to the sky. He began to shoot blasts of kryptonite radiation in her direction but she dodged each one as easily as the next.

"Give it up Kryptonian! You can't avoid my shots forever! Is the mighty Supergirl scared of a true fight?" he taunted her.

She charged him with a flying fist and managed to send him flying a great distance before he crashed into a light pole.

"Never!" she shouted as she charged him again.

Only this time he moved too fast and caught her in a blast of radiation that pushed her to the ground. He slowly got up walking towards her defenceless state as he intensified the blast.

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!" she screamed.

"Kara!!!!" Alex screamed before she gave the signal to start firing at Metallo.

But he didn't budge. He continued his assault on her.

Mon-el had just finished getting everyone out of the building when he saw Metallo had Kara pinned to the floor screaming.

"Kara!!!!!!!" he screamed before he tackled Corbin straight to the ground, stopping his continuous blast.

He quickly got to his feet and began punching him violently until he landed a pretty solid punch to his chest that sent him flying backwards.

He quickly ran over to where Kara was still lying on the floor and helped her up.

"Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

"I've been better." she said, hugging her chest which felt like it was on fire.

Corbin quickly rose to his feet getting ready to charge again but Mon-el didn't give him the chance as he ran straight towards him and grabbed him by the collar and super jumped to the sky.

As soon as they were high enough, he let go of him as he plummeted towards the earth. Mon-el landed just in time to see Corbin create a giant crater in the middle of the road.

He was about to detain him when Corbin jumped to his feet looking bruised and battered but not enough to stop him.

"You think I didn't prepare for you Daxamite? This is courtesy of Cadmus." he laughed before throwing a bunch of small metallic looking spheres at Mon-el's feet.

Mon-el was confused. But then he saw the tiny spheres explode letting out a type of gas at his feet. All of a sudden his eyes burned and his throat began to close up. He couldn't breathe.

Then he realized. Lead. That was the only thing that was deadly to specifically him.

He fell to the ground grasping his throat as his body shook violently. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Corbin escaping.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kara was still sore from the kryptonite attack from Metallo. She watched as Mon-el dropped him from a height straight towards the ground. For a moment she thought he was able to detain him before she saw Mon-el fall to the ground as if he was struggling to breathe. Corbin was making his escape, but all she could think of was Mon-el.

"Mon-el!!!!!" she screamed as she ran as fast as she could to where he lay on the cold ground. His eyes were red and his chest heaving vigorously up and down.

"I.......I-I can't br-reathe." he managed to say but she heard him. She saw the cloud of smoke surrounded him and used her super breath to disperse it fully before checking on him.

He had rolled over gasping for air as the oxygen returned to his lungs. He coughed out whatever lead that was still in his airway as she rubbed his back. Soon he was able to sit up on his own.

Alex came rushing towards them right after he recovered.

"Corbin escaped. We couldn't catch him. Are you guys okay?" she looked at the both of them.

Mon-el nodded slowly, still unable to speak.

Kara responded, "Yeah, but we should get him back to the DEO. Just to do a final check on his lungs."

"Yeah, and we should get you checked out as well. You took quite a blast from that kryptonite there." she said.

"I'll be fine Alex, I'm just a little sore." she sounded very agitated.

"C'mon, let's get you guys back." Alex said as she and Kara helped Mon-el to his feet.

Kara couldn't believe he had almost gotten himself killed yet again. Gosh, why did she have to fall in love with such a stubborn Daxamite?????