Chapter 13

Matt and I went to get the air mattress.

We found it and dragged it into his room. We then went downstairs to go eat dinner. I followed Matt to the table. It was just me, him, and his parents.

His mom had made steak, mashed potatoes, and a salad. I took a seat across from Matt at the table that seated six. We then got started with dinner. I filled my plate, not really getting much meat. I took more salad and mashed potatoes.

"Zoe, are you sure that's all you want? You barely took any steak." She looked at my plate. "Yeah, I'm sure." I smiled. I looked around at everyone else's plate. Theirs had more meat than vegetables. I looked back at mine and shrugged. We began to eat.

The food was amazing. I wasn't used to being served food. My mom would finally be home more starting next week. I wouldn't have to make my own dinners. "How was the food?"Matt's mom asked. "Absolutely amazing." I exclaimed. Matt chuckled.

After dinner, Matt and I went back upstairs. My started filling the air into the air mattress. He handed me a pile of movies to pick from. I went through the movies and decided on 'Insidious.' I was in the mood for a scary movie. Hopefully I wouldn't get too scared.

The air mattress was filled up and placed next to Matt's bed. He threw a blanket and pillow on it. We sat on his bed for the movie. I took Matt's blanket and he took the one near the mattress. He looked at the movie I handed him. "You sure that you can handle this?" He raised an eyebrow at me. "Yes." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Okay..." He trailed off.

He put in the movie. There was a small space between us. It was 10 minutes through the movie and I already had my knees brought up to my chest.  I could feel Matt watching me and being right about me not being able to handle this movie.

-

I kept my eyes glued to the screen. We were now half way through the movie and I was regretting all of this. I hated scary movies but I loved the thrill of it.

We got through the movie, finally. I had been watching between my fingers. I had covered my face. I was to frightened to see what was even on the screen. Matt looked at me and began laughing. "Were you that scared?" He chuckled. "No." I lied. "Yeah." He trailed off.

I needed to pee. Shit, I was too scared to pee now. "Matt?" I complained. "What?" He said. "I need to use the restroom. Will you walk me there?" I looked down. I really needed to go. I wasn't just going to hold it in.He rolled his eyes, and got up. He walked me to the restroom as I went in. I peed and washes my hands.

I turned off the lights and ran to Matt's bed. But Matt wasn't there. My heart pounded. This was some joke of his. "Matt?" I said. No response. No movement. My stomach tied up and I was scared. "Matt, this isn't funny." My heart pounded.  Where was he?

I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned to see a guy with a red mask, from the movie. I screamed and kicked him in the stomach. Well, then I realized it was Matt. Shit.

Matt was laughing, while holding his stomach. I wasn't sure if he was holding his stomach because of the pain or because of the laughter. "Matt, you scared the shit out of me. I hate you." I pushed him away. He gave me a heart attack.

"Aw, I'm sorry." He held back his laughter. I rolled my eyes. "Zoeeeee." He pouted. "Fine." I said giving in. I began to get off of his bed and onto the air mattress. "You can sleep in my bed." He smiled. "Goodnight Zoe." He yawned. "Goodnight Matt." I felt myself getting tired.

I was tired but I couldn't sleep. The movie got to me. I was so alert. I kept looking around. I could hear Matt's light snores. I was scared out of my mind. So I looked at the ceiling. I tried to get my mind off of it. Just don't think about it.