Chapter 7

Tyler's POV

Saturday came with a gentle breeze and warm arms wrapped around me.

I turned around slowly to face my beautiful boyfriend, Josh Dun. My heart skipped a beat as the word boyfriend went through my head.

"Are you okay, baby," Josh murmured into my ear.

"I'm great, boyfriend," I giggled. I felt Josh's lips quirk up against my cheek.

"It sounds so sweet coming from your lips, Tyler."

"I wonder how it sounds coming from your lips," I giggled.

"Well I bet it doesn't sound as good as you, boyfriend," Josh said before kissing my forehead. My mouth opened a bit in surprise and my heart beat faster, a sharp pain quickly came and left. But this moment was perfect.

"Are we gonna hang out today," I asked, trying to slow my heartbeat to a pace that would ensure the pain's end.

"I have to go somewhere at noon but until then, yeah."

"Are you working today?"

Josh silenced.

"Oh, you're going somewhere that you can't or most likely just won't tell me about," I frowned, slightly perturbed.

"Don't worry about it, baby. It's nothing bad or illegal, just private."

"Fine, but do I ever get to know?"

"I honestly don't know."

We sat in silence as Josh ended the conversation and I thought up a plan to find out.

~

The rest of the time went by with movies and a pizza we ordered. When eleven rolled around, Josh got up and got back into his actual clothes.

"Do you have to go," I pouted. Josh just responded with a small laugh.

It was eleven thirty when he left and eleven thirty three when I was picked up by one of my team members who actually owned a car.

We followed far behind Josh's bike as he drove to wherever he was trying to keep secret from me.

Don't you think this is a bit much?

No, now shut up.

~

It was a while before we pulled to a stop. We had lost Josh's bike. I growled and got out of the car, telling my incompetent team mate to go home.

I began walking up and down the major street, looking for any sign of a sleek black motorcycle with Josh's plates on it. It was hours and the sun had began setting as I passed "The Pawn's Shoppe".

After giving up, I wandered in to look at the merchandise. I began admiring all the chess merch as I wandered around.

"Hey, you're that guy that came in with Dun the other day."

I quickly turned around. The cashier from the other day sat behind the counter.

"Uh, yeah," I chuckled softly.

"You looked familiar," she smiled.

"Yeah, I'm pretty well known in the chess community."

"Oh, shit. You're Tyler Joseph, the championships kid," she gasped. My cheeks heated up.

"Yeah, that's me."

"Damn, um, well I'm the manager. Do you wanna, like, be sponsored by us," she asked, wearing the most excited expression.

"Um, sure?"

"Cool, I'll get together a sponsorship package. It's like, uh, room and limited transportation. You leave Tuesday, right?"

"Yeah, my flight's at five p.m."

"Cool, you and Josh come swing by around three then you guys can head to LAX, have fun with that traffic," she smiled.

"Thanks," I said with a small giggle as I picked up a shirt and walked over to pay for it.

"It's on the house," she beamed as I tried to hand her a twenty, "Also, here's this."

She handed over a rewards card and my bag.

"Thank you, have a good night."

"Wait, where are you going? I thought you came to see Josh."

"He's here?"

"Yeah, he's talking to someone about something though," she shrugged.

"O-oh, yeah. Can I see him?"

"Sure, he's in the back, just go through the back door."

"Okay, thanks."

"No prob, dude."

I walked into the back and saw something I wish I hadn't seen. Within seconds I was running back out the door, through the shop, and out onto the sidewalk where I called an Uber.

Josh hadn't seen me, but I had seen him. It was enough. I got in the Uber and broke down.

Maybe it's not what it looked like? Maybe he's not lying to you? Maybe he is...

Shut up. It's exactly what it looked like. Why do you think he sneaks around?

As soon as I reached home, I ran upstairs and collapsed in bed. With tears in my eyes, I fell asleep, ignoring the obnoxious and persistent buzzing of my phone.