Chapter 15

Josh's POV

A horrible sound came. It was the sound of flatlining. I threw my eyes open.

"Tyler," I shouted as nurses ran in. I was restrained in my seat, thrashing to get closer to him. I began to cry and scream out Tyler's name as they tried to bring him a back to me.

"Time of death," the nurse announced.

"No, Tyler! No no no no! Tyler, I swear! Don't leave me!"

"Sir," the nurse yells, "sir, you need to wake up. It's just a dream."

The dream fades and tears spill down my cheeks. I open my eyes to see Tyler breathing perfectly fine. I let out a long sigh.

"Do you need anything, sir? You've been here for twelve hours."

"I need you to call the National Chess Federation and tell them about his condition. We're meant to compete today," I say, trying to get rid of my tears and puffy eyes.

"I can definitely do that. Do you need anything else?"

"Do you know if he's okay?"

"He'll be fine and he should be released by tomorrow morning."

"Okay, thank you," I say with a smile as she walks out.

"Oh, my god! Tyler, my baby! No," a lady cries frantically as she runs in. I look her over as she looks over at me.

"O-oh, you're here," she sniffles.

"Yeah, I'm s-so sorry. I-It's all my fault he's here," I sob, burying my head in my hands.

"What happened to him," she asks, pulling a chair beside me.

"I-it was my fault. We were hungry after watching some of the games and w-we were taking a taxi to go get food but traffic was so bad we g-got out and walked. T-Tyler noticed it would take us less time to take the alleys so we d-did. I-I'm so sorry! I should've k-known. It's all my fault."

"What happened that got him here?"

"W-we got stopped by a mugger. H-he took our money a-and phones."

"Did you see his face," she asks hopefully.

"Yeah, t-that's why he was g-gonna shoot me b-but T-T-Tyler jumped in front of m-me and h-h-he," I sobbed as she wrapped her arms around me.

"It's not your fault. It really isn't," she tried in a comforting tone.

"I should've just made him walk the streets. None of this would've happened."

"It's not your fault. But can we talk?"

"Y-yeah," I say, wiping my tears as I look up at her.

"I know it's really not the time but I'd like to talk about you and my son. I know nothing about you and I wanna make sure you're good for him."

"Oh, okay. Um, I'm Josh Dun and I'm 19. I go to school with Tyler. My grades really aren't the best but I have a job, more than one actually. I, uh, play chess too. That's really it. But, oh, I really love Tyler."

"I can tell," she sighs happily.

"Can I ask you a question, Mrs. Joseph?"

"Kelly and go ahead," she says with a polite smile.

"Uh, Kelly, what's wrong with Tyler?"

"I-I, uh, I think you should ask him," she says before rushing out of the room.

I look up and see a beautiful wide eyed Tyler.

"You're awake," I gasp, throwing my arms around him as the nurse comes in with Kelly and begins checking up on him.

I left to grab food for Kelly and I as they ran tests on him for his release.

~

As I walked back in the room small whispers exchanged between Tyler and the doctor caught my attention.

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Joseph. It's back and it's spread."

"N-no, that can't be true. They said i-it was completely gone."

"I'm sorry, Tyler."