Chapter 17

Tyler's POV

Josh's eyes were puffy and swollen from the crying he had probably done all night.

Josh and I were on our way to the championships and my mother, at the police station to file the report of our mugging before she could join us.

Josh held my hand tightly as we walked into the event building.

"Tyler Joseph and Joshua Dun," I say politely to the registration lady.

"Oh, you're the boy who got shot. How are you holding up," she asks with genuine concern.

"I'm doing quite well. Thank you for asking," I grin, before walking away with my game schedule and name-tag.

"I can't be separated from him. Can you make su-" Josh tried.

"Hun, his mom already called and told us everything. Don't worry about a thing," the lady says as she cuts Josh off.

Josh nods curtly and walks to me.

"Relax, Josh. I'm okay."

"I need every minute with you, Tyler Joseph. You are not leaving my sight. Now first game is mine or yours?"

"Mine."

We walked towards where my schedule told me to play and I sat.

"Josh."

"Yeah, babe?"

"I heard everything you said that night. Even though I was unconscious."

"Heard what?"

"The whole "C'mon, wake up, win, graduate, go to college. Stay alive" speech," I sigh.

"You heard all of it? Even th-"

"Even the marriage part."

"Oh..."

"Yeah," I giggle before becoming serious, "B-but if s-something happens-"

"Nothing's going to happen."

"Yeah but if it does-"

"Nothing. Is. Going. To. Happen. Tyler."

"Yeah but-"

"Nothing."

"Interrupt me one more time and something will."

"Sorry."

"Thank you. I just want you to know that I fully intend on marrying you. I want to. But I don't want you to be hurt when I die."

"If you die, Tyler."

"No, death is the only thing to be expected in the life of a human. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. But whether it be tomorrow or seventy years from now, I want you to be happy when I'm gone."

"But Tyler-"

"Promise me. Promise me you'll be happy when I'm gone."

"But-"

"C-can you just promise me that, Josh?"

"I p-promise," Josh says, a small tear spilling from the corner of his eye as he stares into mine.

"Thank you, Josh," I sigh, cupping his cheeks and pressing a kiss to his lips.

A timid cough comes from across the board, a young girl.

"Ready?"

"Absolutely," I smile, turning to the board as a NCF representative sets us up.

~

"You did so good, Josh!"

"You did too, Tyler, but you need to relax. Your heart isn't really in the best shape."

"I know but I'm so happy for you," I giggle as I wrap my arms around his neck.

"Celebration dinner?"

"Yeah, this time let's not get mugged," I say through a laugh.

"Good idea," Josh smiles, taking my hand.

That night was good. Everything was good, everything was okay.

Only this time, that means something completely different than before.