Chapter 8: His Choosing Ceremony

Date: Tobias Choosing Ceremony (Middle of June)

Tobias POV

As I enter the house, I feel a moment of relief that nobody's home yet. Beatrice is still at school; all of the younger year students had a regularly scheduled day. It was only my class that had the Aptitude Tests today, in preparation for tomorrow's Choosing Ceremony. Mother and Father are working around the clock in preparation for the ceremony.

A frown crosses my face in sadness. This is not the first time I have thought of Natalie as my mother. Of course, just like Beatrice, I had been ordered to call her my mother the moment she married Marcus. But over these months, she has found her way into my heart. I am going to miss Natalie a lot.

I think about relationships, and how they develop in our hearts, often outside our control. Natalie easily filled a void in my life as a mother-like figure. I will never forget who Evelyn is to me, how could I? My mother and I share a bond because of Marcus that will bind us forever, even past her death. My heart was open to accepting her.

I can honestly say that never, not for one moment, did I look at Beatrice as my sister. For a moment I wonder if meeting on the roof of the funeral changed the course of our lives. How would life have been if we really had met at the wedding, and presented instead as step-siblings for the first time meeting?

Smiling, I'll be forever grateful for when, and what happened, when we met.

Sometimes I wonder if it is because I love Beatrice so deeply that I admire her mother for raising such an amazing young woman. As though I owe her thanks for all of my happiness as without Natalie, I would not have the love of my life.

But I know that is not true, it is more than that. From the moment Natalie Prior became Natalie Eaton, she has showered me with love and kindness. I still think back to that day early in their marriage that she asked me to walk her to a service activity. She spoke frankly, understanding that she would never replace Evelyn, just as I would never be a replacement for Caleb. I remember lowering my eyes to the ground as I heard the catch in her voice at the mention of her lost son. She was still in so much pain, even though she tried so hard to hide it.

It was something which years of blending in and being unnoticed provided: people around me would let down their guard, as though I was not even there. During our walk she asked me to make a pact with her, that if either of us did something that upset the other, we would be honest with each other. It could be our little secret, not for Marcus or Beatrice to know about.

When we reached her destination and I was about to turn and walk away, she asked me if I was happy. I was so stunned at the question that I just stared at her with my mouth open. Someone caring about my happiness was a new concept to me. She smiled at me kindly and reassured me that she takes her role as a mother very seriously. That one of her top responsibilities in life was to be there for her children, and I was part of her family now. I was weary over her true intentions that day. But as time passed, I began to love Natalie as I would have were she my real mother. She was more of a parent to me than Marcus ever was.

As I walk to my bedroom I make sure the door is closed behind me. Although I am home alone, I wedge the desk chair under the knob, just in case. Then I crouch next to the bed and reach under it to the trunk I keep there.

Evelyn gave it to me when I was young, lying to my father and claiming it was for spare blankets. Inside the trunk was the blue sculpture she had gifted me in secret. It looked like falling water, but it was really glass-- polished, flawless. It was the only thing I had left of my mother.