Chapter 14: The Showdown

Date: Choosing Day-1st Day of Initiation / Baby Natalie is 5 months old (Middle of June)

*Four POV*

I trudge down the hallway that leads to the daycare center. I've never had the misfortune of having to come here before. I only know the way because of my job in the control room. I know every inch of this compound.

"Four, make sure you read the protocol sheet so you pass on the correct information to your initiate," Eric chastises me as he turns his attention to Tris. "This situation is really a great learning experience for Four, I am looking forward to meeting your little one. What's her name?"

I stop to carefully read the bullshit protocol that is ruining my life, I hear Tris tell Eric that her love child is named Natty.

Natty?

Then I realize it must be a nickname for Natalie. That's nice, I guess. Naming the baby after her grandmother. As angry as I am with Tris, I feel a pang of sadness when I think of Natalie. I have missed her as well these two years. Although it was just a short time I had her as a step-mother, her warmth towards me left a lasting impression.

It occurs to me that she will likely visit Tris on visiting day...I'd love to see her. Even if it is from afar.

And then I remember that Tris will probably have this kid in tow when she sees Natalie. I scowl just thinking about that.

"I read it, let's keep moving," I bark as I proceed through the daycare center entrance.

As I approach the front desk I see a woman that looks very familiar. She is dressed in all black, but showing a lot of skin. She is pretty enough, but she is also like many of the women here...aggressive and sexual.

"Well hello, Four. I never thought I'd see you down here...what brings you to the Dauntless Daycare center?" the vivacious daycare director purrs when she sees me. I honestly can't remember her name, I've met her a couple of times as she is good friends with Shauna. Damn it, what is her name...

I clear my throat. "Hey. So this is Tris Prior, she is one of my initiates this year and I believe you should be expecting her."

"Hi! Yes, we've heard all about you," her eyes focus on Tris and she waves us all in past the front desk. "Come on in, my name is Diana, I am the director of the center. We are looking forward to having little Natalie in our care."

"Thank you, she actually goes by Natty. Please let her teachers know," Tris asks politely.

As I walk by first I can feel Diana's eyes undressing me. This woman has no shame, she has always been an aggressive flirt. There are children everywhere, she needs to settle down.

Eric clears his throat, Diana tears her eyes away from me and then seems to notice Eric for the first time. She smiles at him as well and nods her head in a hello.

"Diana, Four needs to cover some things with both you and Tris before we start the tour. Let's all give Four our undivided attention," Eric says brightly.

This asshole is loving every minute of this. He can't be bothered to show up to watch all of the new initiates in his program jump into the net or meet them...but he has time to babysit me? I hate him so much, I've decided that I dislike funny-Eric even more than the sadistic-Eric version.

I look at Tris for the first time since we have entered the daycare. Her face is blank as she waits for me to start.

She is cold as ice.