Chapter 18: Complicated Webs We Weave

+++o+++

In honor of Labor Day in the US, we have chosen to post this week's chapter a day early. Enjoy, and have a safe and happy holiday.

+++o+++

Chapter 18: Complicated Webs We Weave

Date: Dauntless Initiation - Phase 1 / Baby Natty is 5 months old

*Tris POV*

I gaze at my daughter, sitting in Chris's arms at the table, sitting with my new group of friends in the middle of the cafeteria. The baby looks so content, sometimes I want to pinch myself over how smoothly the transition to our new life has worked out.

"Thanks, Christina.  I appreciate you watching the baby while I talk with Uri.  I won't be too long, I'll meet you here in about an hour?" I say while bending over to give Natty one last kiss on her forehead as she squirms in Chris's arms. 

Christina gives me a knowing smile and tells me she is going to take the baby shopping with her, and she may even find a present for the baby.  She would like to see Natty wear more Dauntless black.  Christina tells me not to worry if it ends up being longer, she is sure she can manage.  I raise my eyebrows as I see a wicked smile cross Chris's face as she looks past me to where I know Uriah is standing.  I keep my smile even as I turn and walk towards Uriah.  I can feel that all of our friends are watching us closely.

When Uriah confidently slips his hand into mine, I force myself not to show any reaction.  Uri has been an amazing friend to me, and I will not embarrass him in front of the group.  I do care about him, but not in a romantic way.

Once we turn the corner I look over my shoulder to make sure that no one we know happens to be walking behind us.  With our fingers now intertwined I glance down at our hands, his mocha skin a dark contrast to my pale hand.  It is a lovely sight to admire, the way we are all made differently yet really the same.

But that is where my feelings end.  I never understood why people bothered to hold hands as they walked.  As I look at our hands again...I still don't.  I feel nothing special or romantic about this gesture.  If anything, it makes me feel like a small child that is being led around and forced to follow.  Of course I know that is not Uriah's intent, but I need to be honest with him.  He is a good friend and I owe him that.

"Uriah, can we go sit on the rocks at the side of the Pit?" I ask.

He nods and begins leading us there.  Once we sit down I immediately pull my hand away.  Uriah's eyes meet mine; a look of confusion flashes across his face but then he seems to let his concerns go. 

He looks at me expectantly.  I am the one who requested that we talk.

I clear my throat and dive in.  I tell him how important his friendship is to me...but that a friend is all I see him as.  A good friend, nothing more. Nothing romantic.  To his credit, he listens thoughtfully and then shrugs his shoulders in an easy going manner.

"The truth is, I don't want to date anyone right now.  I am just not interested in that.  At least not anytime soon," I finish.

Uriah smiles at me. "I get it, Tris.  I do.  I think we should continue to be friends, you are an awesome person.  I really enjoy your company.  I have since that day I met you, almost a year ago."

I release the air I had been holding, I didn't realize before how nervous I was to have this conversation.  I should have known that Uri would be wonderful about it, as he usually is in all situations.  I smile at him, feeling much more at ease.