Chapter 25: A Health Scare (T)

+++o+++

Author's Note: This chapter was originally written as the Mature (M) rating. It was then edited to fit the General rating for our more delicate readers. If you would like to read the M version please close this story and find the M version of ch 25 in the side story.

We also wanted to give a friendly reminder, although in this story the reader is well aware of both Four and Tris's internal thoughts and many actions - - the characters are not privy to, nor making decisions with, all of the information you, the reader, has.

+++o+++

Chapter 25: A Health Scare (T version)

Date: Dauntless Initiation – Stage 2 / Baby Natty is 6 1/2 months old (End of July)

^^ Two Weeks Have Passed ^^

*Tris POV*

"Why is everyone so tired today?  Let's move!" Four hollers at us as we take another lap around the training facility.  "We are nowhere near done, so don't get lazy on me now."

His scowl can be seen across the room.  Between the crankiness both he and Lauren have been showing at training these last two weeks and the workouts, all initiates are exhausted and on edge. 

I'm keeping pace with Edward at the front of the group again.  If I build up a lead now, I'll be able to slow down and get a good look at the clock on the high wall of the training room when we pass it.

The clock reads 5:42PM.  I sigh with relief, I am still well within my time to get to daycare before it closes.  The problem is that I have no idea how much longer Four intends to work us.

Though Phase II of Initiation started a couple of days after Visiting day, there seems to be some kind of disagreement about the training curriculum at the top leadership level.  I overheard Four talking to Uri's brother about it, mentioning that both he and Lauren are caught in the middle as the different leaders scramble to get the trainers to say something that will support their own personal view.

While it is worked out, the trainers have been showing us minimal combat, and we've been concentrating on conditioning.  They haven't given us our Rankings for Phase I yet, either.

The good news is that these two weeks have been used to build endurance.  Mine was already decent from my previous training and it has only gotten better.  Much better.  The time I was able to slip away while at Abnegation has been priceless, but now that I am in Dauntless and my focus is on training, the results are incredible to see.  I never dreamed I could feel so strong and capable. 

As we finish our last lap and are taking a quick water break I see that Four is standing at the board with his marker in hand.  Turning to look at me he waves me over and then turns back to the board as he sees me start to walk towards him.

I bite back a groan when I see he is writing out a list of physical exercises we must complete before being dismissed for the day.  I hate burpees, which I see listed throughout. Ugh.

"I know daycare closes at 6:30.  What time you need to leave here in order to get Natty on time?" Four asks me quietly without looking at me.  I smile with relief, he hasn't forgotten about her, and he cares enough to make sure training is done in time.

"I need to be running out of the training room by 6:15 to be safe," I answer.

He nods and dismisses me.  I notice he erases the last two activities he had planned from the board.

"Water time is over, here are the last of your conditioning exercises.  As soon as you complete the list you are free to leave for the day.  We will meet here tomorrow at 7:30 AM, so get a good night's sleep.  You'll need it," he barks at us.