Chapter 30: Mommy Dearest

Date: Early September - Baby Natty is 7+ months old

**Four POV**

I open the door to my dark, empty apartment with a sigh. I worked a later shift than usual in the control room tonight, and I am ready to just crawl right into bed, but I know it will not be that easy to fall asleep without Tris and Natty here. Though she has her own apartment, we stay over with one another more often than not. Tonight, Tris is spending time with Christina, who is still reeling over her troubled relationship with Will. I have no desire whatsoever to get anywhere near that.

Between both of our work schedules and her sleepover with Christina, I hate that we haven't had a moment of alone time in almost two days. At least I was able to enjoy a quick dinner with my girls in the cafeteria before Chris whisked them off and I had to report for work.

I turn on the light, and as I toe off my boots, a folded piece of paper catches my eye. That wasn't there before I left for work. Two possibilities immediately flash in my mind: the first is that Tris might have left me a sweet note-- it wouldn't be the first time, and the thought brings a smile to my face. But when I open the note, I am quickly disappointed to find that it's from the second possibility: my mother, Evelyn.

T-
I need to speak with you, it's important. 8 AM at Randall & Halstead.
-E

I huff in annoyance at the demanding tone of the note-- as if I owe her something. I almost wish I was working tomorrow so meeting her simply wouldn't be an option, but of course, I have the day off. For a moment, I contemplate whether to show up or not. But she said it was important, and the truth is, I'm curious. Two years have now passed since I learned that Evelyn was, in fact, alive. I have not spoken to her since I rejected her request that I join her in Factionless; she had not reached out after getting my note. As I fill an empty black backpack with nonperishable foods from the kitchen cupboards, I realize with relief just how fortunate it is that Tris is spending time with Christina tonight. Had she found the note, I would have had a lot of explaining to do.

Evelyn is not someone I have thought much about, not since we parted ways. I trust and love Tris, and now that I think about it, I know I should tell Tris about my mother. My stomach turns at the idea of telling Tris as I try to resolve my hesitation.

Maybe it's the knowledge that my father really did kill Natalie. There is no possibility that Tris's mother will appear, alive and well, as Evelyn finally did after letting me spend nine years mourning her supposed death. I feel guilty that my mother is alive.

Maybe it's just that I still don't know how to feel about Evelyn Johnson (she's gone back to her maiden name, not wanting to be associated with Marcus any more than I wish to be). I should be happy that she is alive, and I am. But she's still the woman who abandoned me, a helpless, scared nine-year-old boy at the time, to the same sadistic man she faked her death to escape. I don't think I can forgive her for that. Ever.

Maybe, it's because I'd rather just forget about Evelyn Johnson Eaton entirely, and I can't do that if I acknowledge her to any other person. But if she's going to start butting into my life like this, I need to tell Tris sooner rather than later. I have no idea what my mother wants after all this time. I can decide how to tell Tris later, after I speak to Evelyn.

++o++

When I reach the train tracks the next morning, the train platform is abandoned, the sun is low in the sky and there is a chill in the air; I am glad I wore a jacket. At 7:42, right on time, the train comes into view. I begin to jog as it approaches and throw myself into the open door of the last car. I am not surprised to find that the train car is empty. The train barrels north from Dauntless, toward the center of the city.