Chapter 35: Breaking Family Ties

AN: This is the second to last chapter of Deceptions and Secrets. Ch 36 will be the grand finale and we look forward to sharing it with you.

Chapter 35: Breaking Family Ties

Date: Mid-September +o+ Baby Natty is 8 months old

^^ Later that Afternoon ^^

** Four POV **

"Four? Are you okay?" Tris asks me, concern etched on her face. Leaning against the wall next to the open door of the moving train, I breathe in and out slowly.

I force myself to nod although I feel the pressure, knowing how much is at stake. Now is not the time for me to be weak. We are taking the train to Abnegation, it is time for our confrontation with Marcus. My father who I haven't seen in over two years.

My father, who is a monster.

Averting my eyes to look across the moving city I focus on the task at hand. My mind is racing a mile a minute.

With the help of Jack Kang and his top security officer, Tris and I have come up with a plan to trap Marcus. Jonah was able to give us Marcus's schedule for the remainder of the day.

In exchange for our cooperation and if the plan is successful in trapping Marcus, Tris will get a plea deal to clear her from any penalty for "kidnapping" Natty.

Tris and I are ready to confront Marcus with the proof of his involvement in killing her father and brother. With the help of a Candor top judge, we are both wired. Although Jack made the call that he needed more to actually convict Marcus, the information Jack had gathered was enough to convince a judge to allow us to be wired and have a conversation with Marcus. It's not like I can strap my father to chair and electrocute him into a confession. Our goal is to get Marcus on tape admitting his crimes while being taped through the wire.

With so much at stake, the pressure to finally catch Marcus bears down on us. Everything I have ever wanted and loved is on the line.

We can't fail. We won't.

"Hey," Tris whispers while sliding her arms around my waist. "You don't need to be brave for me. I can't imagine how it must feel for you to see your father again. I'm here for you."

Holding her cheek I marvel at her strength, she is facing off the man that most likely wiped out her family and her freedom is on the line...and she's worried about me.

"I love you, Tris."

Smiling she stands on her tiptoes and plants a firm kiss against my lips. Resting my chin on the top of her head I see that our stop is coming up.

It's time.

Walking quietly through Abnegation in silence, Tris is tightly holding the folder with copies of the proof Jonah found in her hand. We have practiced the confrontation scenario that we expect with Marcus a few times this afternoon. If so much wasn't at risk, it would have been comical the perfect way that Jonah was able mimic how arrogant Marcus could be. What Jonah didn't know how to portray is the rage his colleague hides just below the surface. I have no doubt Marcus will show us his true colors today.

I am counting on it.

Standing in front of the house, I cringe remembering my last exchange with Tris here. I was so cruel to her, the lies that flew out of my mouth hurting her so deeply. Scowling I remember how Marcus manipulated me so cleverly, he played me like a fiddle. And I fell right into his trap...which is on me.