Chapter 23: Birthday Fun

Date: Dauntless Initiation – Phase 1 / Baby Natty is 5 ½ months old (July 8)

^^ Later that same night ^^

*Tris POV*

I glance at Natty sitting up in her crib, I have all of the apartment lights on and the radio playing loud (ok, not super loud) music. I'm trying to keep her awake until we walk over to Shauna's apartment. Her little eyes look so tired, I feel a pang of guilt for taking her out this late. And then I remind myself that she will get to sleep the moment we get there. I mix her formula bottle; I'll feed her at the apartment and then lay her down on the bed in Shauna's room.

I make sure the diaper bag has all the supplies I might need tonight. I smile remembering how stressed I used to be about baby supplies, until Four stepped in. I sigh sadly remembering what a long day it has been and all of the issues we've dealt with. The naked run-in in the bathroom, our fight on training room floor, our fight in the hallway after...the necklace, that slap, and then my birthday cake in the cafeteria. I know he was remembering the gift I gave him for his eighteenth birthday, just like I was.

I exhale slowly. I am so tired of fighting with him; it drains me. I know once initiation ends, Natty and I will leave this apartment, there will be no more trainings...and Four will become another stranger I sometimes pass in the halls. I frown, not understanding why I feel sadness over knowing I will soon lose him completely, while at the same time feeling a tremendous sense of relief. Once we are apart, I can put him out of my mind completely. No more reminders of the man he used to be, the love we once shared and most important...I won't have the guilt that weighs on my chest every time I see him interact with Natty.

He will have his life, and I will have mine.

I look at the directions Uri scribbled down for me. It was really nice of Lynn's sister to let us use her apartment for a movie night. I smile looking at the clock, it is finally time for me to head over with Natty. We all agreed to keep my birthday celebration small, especially since I am bringing the baby. Obviously Lynn will be there, along with Uriah, Marlene, Will, Christina, Al and even Edward and Myra.

I place Natty in the baby carrier and swing the diaper bag over my shoulder. Locking the apartment door behind me, I wonder when Four will be getting home. I decided against leaving him a note; we had such a bad day that I figured it will be odd. Plus, it's pretty late now and I have no idea where he is. Not that we need to check in with each other, obviously. Although we have both been very courteous as roommates the last couple of weeks. I remember the time he let me know he was going out with friends and would be home late. Well, that also wasn't after a full day of fighting.

Before I even make it to the apartment door I can hear the loud laughter and music coming from inside the apartment. I look at Natty, knowing I need to get her to sleep soon...I hope this wasn't a bad idea. I also don't want to ruin the gathering because of the baby. I force myself to knock on the door, startled when it flings open and I am pulled into the apartment. A quick scan of the room confirms that only the guests we agreed to are here. I smile, feeling relieved.

Then I notice the kitchen counter that is covered with a large variety of alcoholic beverages. My mouth drops open, I've never seen so much booze in one place. I've heard about Dauntless parties, and this may become a wild one. I consider leaving, biting the inside of my cheek. I feel a little sad, but I have to put the baby first.

"Hey guys! I'm just going to stay for a minute to say hi. I really should get the baby home so she can sleep," I say while forcing a smile.

"No way, Tris!" Uriah says. "Don't let all this alcohol freak you out, we will be respectful of our sweet Natty. I got Shauna's room all ready with pillows so she won't roll off while sleeping and I have a surprise for you, come see!"