Chapter 34: Getting Help (T version)

AN: This chapter was originally written as Mature (M). If you prefer to read that version, please open the M-Chapters separate story from the Author Page.

We hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with their loved ones. Thank you for your patience with this chapter.

Chapter 34: Getting Help (T version)

Date: Mid-September +o+ Baby Natty is 8 months old

^^ Very Early the Next Morning ^^

* Tobias POV *

"We should get dressed," I whisper while kissing Tris's cheek. We are still snuggled under the blanket on the couch. Closing my eyes, I make a mental note at how much I enjoyed making love to her on this particular piece of furniture. Not that I ever plan to be locked in a storage room again, but I do have a nice couch in my apartment. Grinning, I file it away for future reference.

I know I will have a future with Tris. No matter what it takes, I will fight for her and what we have.

"I know, but I still just want to freeze time," Tris pauses to look into my eyes sadly. "I know we have gone over this a dozen times, I'm still trying to accept it."

My brows furrow, running my thumb across her jaw.  I wish I could push her pain away. After satisfying our pent up desires last night we held each other for many hours trying to decide our next steps. Tears were shed, kisses and caresses were shared as we each drew strength from the other.

The early morning is here and I know that my adrenaline is coursing through my veins because of the threats ahead of us. "It's hard to accept, but we are in agreement. The truth of Natty's paternity will never stay hidden forever. A secret this large, would have come to light eventually. We need to face it now," I gently remind her.

"I know, you're right. Even if Marcus saw me a year from now, or five years from now, with a daughter her age...he would suspect the truth. I have to face this head on," she says with resolution. "Natty was never really safe."

"We have our plan, it's our only hope. We have to confess and get ahead of this," I say hoarsely while kissing her firmly. My stomach in knots at the prospect of losing Tris, but I remind myself that I would make the same sacrifice if called upon. I have to concentrate on the fact that Tris is just as capable and brave as I myself strive to be.

"I know, and as much as I fear the prospect of prison... That little girl is more important to me than myself. I will sacrifice for her, I would do anything for her," Tris says firmly.

I marvel at her strength and resolve, this girl that I met so many years ago on the roof of a funeral home. I loved her then, but the person she is today amazes me so much more. She is truly selfless and strong. The love I feel for the woman she is today overwhelms me. She is my everything.

"Natty's best chance is to be hidden, even if it ends up being forever...she can never go to Marcus or Evelyn. Ever!" Tris reminds me of the promise we made to each other.

"Tris, I agree 100%. As the unlucky offspring of these two degenerates, I know more than anyone. It pains me to imagine a life where we don't have Natty, but if it is the best thing for her...it will be worth it," I concede.

After much deliberation throughout the night, we both agreed that the best chance that Natty has is to be hidden, while also being apart from us both. Our hearts ache at the prospect of giving Natty up, but we have agreed that raising Natty ourselves while on the run or even with the secret somehow intact – is too large of a risk for her.

We love her enough to put her needs first.

Sighing as Tris and I get dressed, I think about our plan.