Chapter 21: Sweet Dreams

Date: Dauntless Initiation – Phase 1 / Baby Natty is 5 ½ months old (Beginning of July)

^^ One Week Has Passed ^^

*Tris POV*

This morning's training has been enjoyable, I'm starting to really enjoy practice fighting. When I am working with the correct people, that is. Peter and I stop to glare at each other from across the room. Ever since our confrontation on the train on the way to capture the flag, he has been extremely hostile towards to me. I try to avoid him as much as possible and if I didn't know any better, I'd think that Four has purposely kept us apart in the way he runs his trainings.

My comment about wanting Drew over him really hurt Peter's pride. Drew, on the other hand, thought it was the funniest thing that has happened in a long time. I am guessing Drew is not letting the comment go when talking to Peter. Drew has never been one to pay any attention to me, so I believe he only does it to put Peter down.

Four told us this morning that he would be randomly picking names out of a hat to set up this afternoon's fights. The fights will count for points in Phase I rankings.

Four.

He has slept at the apartment every night since the Capture the Flag game. We have found a way to live in comfortable silence. Aside from basic pleasantries, the only times we really speak are if Natty does something funny or if I am desperate for him to help me with something small, like hold Natty for twenty seconds while I mix a formula bottle.

It was shortly after capture the flag that Four approached me towards the end of a training day, Eric on his heels. Eric was rolling his eyes before he reached me. They both spoke to me about the points that initiates receive. It had been an oversight in the procedures manual that Natty's basic needs were not taken into account. They asked that I give them an average count of diapers, wipes and formula that she uses weekly.

I nervously asked Four to review my numbers before I officially turned in my request. He did it with a good attitude and even encouraged me to increase the request as I was trying to be conservative.

That same night, Four came home with vouchers for the twenty-four hour pharmacy. I knew he must have put this in motion for me, and it will also help any future initiates that may be in this situation one day. Four explained it was also written into the procedures. I bit my lip when I thanked him, trying to keep my tears of gratitude at bay. He nodded and rubbed the back of his neck.

He then ran out of the apartment, telling me he had plans with friends and he would be back really late. I went to bed before he returned, but he did sleep at home that night.

Though he has been more present and helpful lately, there is still tension between us. Yes, Four and I had a good day when he offered to babysit and bought some baby supplies. But the actions of one day don't erase all that has happened between us. Nor the things he has said and done to me.

My mother is still dead. That will never be erased. I could also go to jail, and my daughter would legally belong to a monster.

No.

Nothing has changed for me. Nothing is more important to me than Natty's safety. Everything and everyone else is secondary.

"Snap out of it, Tris! You'd better warm up by the time you get paired with Edward for this exercise," Will teases me, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I am sparring with Will right now. Al and Christina work together as a pair right next to us, Edward and Myra next to them. I can't help but smile at how much fun we are having. We agreed we would rotate every fifteen minutes.