Chapter 32: Threats

Chapter 32: Threats

Date: Early September - Baby Natty is 7+ months old

^^The next day^^

**Tris POV**

I wake alone in my bed, in my own apartment – the apartment I moved into after refusing Four's invitation to live with him, because of my secret. I never imagined that he could find out in some other way. I was so careful, for so long. The anger and pain of betrayal on his face flashed in my mind for hours last night as I tossed and turned. The confrontation in Four's apartment only lasted minutes. It all happened so fast, me being caught completely off guard didn't help. Of course that evening a half a dozen things I could have said to explain or even justify my actions tumbled round and round in my head!

I left his apartment last night so overwhelmed by sadness, panic, and dread, I felt as though it could drown me. His words were ringing in my ears: "I think we should take a break." Christina and Will are on a break, too, and it feels more like they're over; they avoid one another whenever possible, and when they are both in the same place at the same time, the tension makes everyone around them uncomfortable. Seeing Will in the Pit last night as I walked home with the bag I had just thrown all of Natty's and my things into was like salt thrown into a fresh wound.

++o+ Flashback +o++

Fighting to control my tears while quickly walking away from Four's apartment, I know I just need to keep moving. I can't break down, not here. I'm still reeling from our fight... it all happened so fast. I can't help shaking my head at the irony: just a few days ago I was ready to tell Four the truth, I just needed to figure out how to do it. Even if I were to just blurt it out, I haven't seen him alone the past few days to have the opportunity.

I shake my head and force myself to focus on where I am going rather than my racing thoughts and the dread churning in the pit of my stomach. I need to drop off this bag at home and hurry back to work – my lunch break is almost over. Tonight, when my work day is over and Natty is tucked into bed, then I can think about... Stop, Tris. Just focus on what is in front of you.

I round the corner from this section of apartments and into the Pit, but what I see immediately makes me step back. I peer out carefully from the shadows, where I won't be seen, my heart pounding in my ears. Will is walking down one of the paths, but he is not alone; he appears to be on a date. Next to him is a Dauntless girl in a short skirt and a skin tight, low cut top. She's very pretty, but otherwise is Christina's opposite with her pale skin and blue-streaked blond hair that falls past her shoulders. Will has an arm around her shoulders and his face lights up with laughter.

Is he seriously already moving on from Christina? The thought makes me feel sick and I wipe the tears collecting in my eyes with the back of my hand. They aren't even broken up! Not technically. They're on a break... just like Four and I are. I know he and I agreed not to date anyone else, but seeing Will with someone else so soon...

I take deep breaths and clench and unclench my fists, trying to keep my emotions at bay, but I still feel sick to my stomach. I hated seeing Four with anyone else even when I thought I hated him, but now... now I have fallen in love with him all over again. Surely he would move on from me – he has done so before – and the thought is like a punch in the gut.

++o+ End Flashback +o++

I sigh and rub my eyes, which are still swollen from all the tears I shed last night. If I could stay in bed all day, I definitely would, but I can't. I have to get Natty to daycare and be at training by eight o'clock. If I don't get up and moving now, I won't have time for breakfast in between.