Chapter 27: Uriah (T version)

Author Note: This chapter was originally written as the Mature (M) rating. It was then edited to fit the General rating for our more delicate readers. If you would like to read the M version please close this story and find the M version of ch 27 in the side story.

Chapter 27: Uriah (T version)

Date: Dauntless Initiation – Phase 3 / Baby Natty is 7 months old (Middle of August)

** Four POV **

Placing the dry laundry that I needed remove from the dryer on Tris's bed, I smile realizing it is all Natty's cute things, from dark colored baby clothing to her blankets and burp cloths. I run back to the closet where the top-bottom machines are in order to move my wet clothes load into the dryer. Closing the door and starting the dryer I turn and begin walking towards the kitchen. After washing my dinner dishes I decide to fold Natty's clothes and just leave them on her bed. It's getting late and I'm sure Tris will be tired when she gets home with the baby. It has been a grueling week of training.

Just as I finish folding, there is a hard knock at the apartment door. I remind myself that Tris no longer knocks, accepting that this is their home for now. When there is a second round of knocking I rush to see who it is.

My mouth falls open to see a very flustered Uriah as he pushes his way into the apartment. He's got Natty on his hip while carting her diaper bag as well.

"Four! Man, I'm so glad you are home. I really need your help watching Natty," he says exasperated while rushing to place Natty in her crib. I frown realizing how familiar he is, not only in my apartment, but also with Tris's child.

"Come on, Four. Don't make that sour face. Tris should be home in an hour at most. I was supposed to hang with Natty until she was done shopping with Christina," Uriah explains while he walks to my kitchen to start mixing a bottle of formula and looking at his watch. Natty has started crying in her crib, she sounds really upset.

"What's going on, Uri?" I demand as I walk to pick up the baby and soothe her.

"Crap, I'm also twenty minutes late with her bottle. You're gonna have to feed her, poor kid," Uri grimaces, looking guilty. "I had everything under control, until my mom's water pipe burst and her apartment is basically flooding. Zeke's already there but I need to swing by maintenance to borrow a sump pump."

I frown, sad to hear Hana has to deal with this crap. I can see what Uri's emergency is; of course I will help with Natty. At this point I've watched Natty a few times, and after what happened when the baby was sick...I just wonder why Tris asked Uriah over me in the first place. I've been at home all night, Natty could have been here with me. She could have been in her own home instead of being dragged around the compound.

I know it bothers me more than it should, Tris is free to do whatever she wants with her kid. Uriah expertly warms the bottle in a mug of hot water he heated up. It's pretty obvious he spends a lot of time with Tris and Natty.

Of course he does, they are together. Or at minimum, seeing each other.

"You and Tris seemed to become instant friends at the start of initiation. When did you become so close, on the train ride to Dauntless?" I ask casually while patting Natty on the back as she waits for her bottle.

"Choosing day? Oh, no. I was good friends with Tris way earlier, or I guess I should say Beatrice," Uriah says with a chuckle as he tests the formula temperature by squirting a dash on his arm. Satisfied, he brings me the bottle as I have a seat on my bed in order to feed her.

"Earlier?" I push for information while getting Natty set up with her burp cloth.

"Yeah, Tris came to Dauntless during last year's Visiting Day. I noticed her walking around, it was pretty obvious she was searching for someone and not finding them. She stuck out like a sore thumb in her Abnegation clothing," Uriah smiles, obviously remembering his first glimpse of her. My heart races, I had no idea Tris came to find me. "She was looking for a transfer that was a friend of hers. I just remember it was a guy's name and no one that I'd ever heard of."