Chapter 15: Dinner, Then Bed

+++o+++ +++o+++ +++o+++

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! We hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer. Just a note to say thank you again for reading and commenting for this story, DECEPTIONS & SECRETS. Please note the title, we named it this for a reason - there are going to be a lot of lies and manipulations ahead. As we write this, we realize some moments will frustrating....trust us, it is by design. Enjoy the process - we are aiming for a big payoff! As we always do for our writing, and your reading pleasure (hopefully).

Take care, FourTris_HEA and DivergentPanda46

+++o+++ +++o+++ +++o+++

Chapter 15: Dinner, Then Bed

Date: First Day of Initiation / Baby Natty is 5 months old (Middle of June)

*Tris POV*

I am seething as I stride toward the daycare center. My argument with Four echoes in my mind and every word I replay just works me up further. Who the hell does he think he is to talk to me that way after the way he treated me? What gives him the right to question me?! He acted like I was under some obligation to wait for him, like I owed him my devotion while he screwed around with who knows how many women for the past two years! He didn't even want me to come here. He made that very clear the day he treated me like garbage and broke my heart.

I did find it amusing, though, when Four referred to Natty as my "love child". How ironic-- he couldn't be much further from the truth. It was hard not to laugh out loud at him.

I realize that I am nearing the daycare and, emotionally, I'm in no shape to pick up Natty. My breathing is erratic-- I'm nearly panting. My heart is pounding in my ears and my jaw clenched so hard that my teeth hurt. I need to calm down before I see my daughter.

There is a small alcove off the hallway I am walking down; I can slip in there for some privacy. Ideally I'd like to go to the training room and take it out on a punching bag, but I need to get Natty and eat some dinner, and besides, I shouldn't show anyone how practiced I already am at combat. I shouldn't have had any training before coming here, but Mother taught me for nearly a year. After her death, I continued to practice when I was able to find the time alone.

When living with Marcus, I discovered that it helped my anger to clench my fists as tight as I could, then release them. I haven't had to do this as much the past few months, living with the Blacks, but it helps me now. I lean against the wall of the alcove and go through the familiar movements until I feel my body relax.

With one last deep breath in and slow exhale, I am ready. I am anxious to see my daughter.

The daycare center is just two more turns away from the alcove I stopped off at, and it's impossible to hold back the smile that creeps onto my face as I anticipate seeing Natty. Since she was born, five months ago today, all my moments with her have been stolen. Finally, our new life has begun, and I can see her all the time. There is no Marcus here to worry about, no surrogate parents to sneak away from, though I will be forever grateful to Mr. and Mrs. Black for taking me in these past months.

The director, Diana, is at the front desk again when I walk in, and despite her rude remarks earlier, she greets me with a bright smile. I remind myself that almost every member of every faction has been trained to look down on the factionless. Even being raised in Abnegation not to pass judgment, the image I was raised to believe of the factionless was far less desireable than what I have now found to be true in reality for the people that are willing to work hard.