Understanding

Four
"Look, I am sorry for everything I have done in the past. Please understand, you suddenly came saying that I got you pregnant. It was hard for me to believe that..."
I smiled when I saw Trev hand a ball to a girl.
"Kung gayon, bakit bigla kang lumalapit ngayon? Noon, nagmakaawa ako sa iyo. Kinapalan ko ang mukha ko kasi iniisip ko ang kapakanan ng anak ko. Pero pinagbintangan mo lang ako na gold digger. Ngayong hindi na kita kailangan, bakit ka lumalapit?"
"Alam ko na hindi mo na ako kailangan. I can see that you can provide for the child. But Roni, we are not talking about money here.."
She just remained silent. I sigh.
"Trev is also my son-" I stopped when she suddenly laughed at what I said.
"Son? Oh come on, Four. You said it yourself that he can be a child of anybody out there..."
"Roni..'
"Hindi kita pinilit na paniwalaan ang pagbubuntis ko noon. Pero bakit bigla atang bumaliktad ang mundo. Sino ang kumimbinse sa iyo na anak mo nga ang anak ko?"
I felt embarrassment within me. This is such a different woman. I can sense spirit and courage in her voice. I knew then on that fighting with her is such a dumb idea. If I want my child, I need to think of other way to have him.
"I felt it. When I first saw him, I felt this strange feeling towards him. Like I knew him, like he is mine. And when I saw you, I knew that I was feeling right."
I heard her sigh deeply.
"Do you really believe that he is yours?"
"I do. Is he?"
She nod silently. It made me smile. But my smile vanished immediately when she bowed her head.
"What do you need from us?"
I can sense fear and sadness in her voice. My heart swell.
"I want to be a father to him. I made a mistake when I rejected you before. I don't want to make another mistake by not doing anything to him."
"D-do you want me to... to give him to y-you?"
I was amazed when I saw her crying. My heart melt suddenly.
"Of course not. He is your son as well as he is mine. We both have a right over him. Specially you because you have been his parent ever since he was in your womb. And I don't want to take that from you. What I am asking is a chance. A chance to be his parent too."
She continued to cry silently.
"You know, if you try to take him from me, he will leave me even without thinking. He has been longing for a father for a long time. If you want to be a parent to him, I won't fight you with that. I understand how you reacted before and you explained it well...." She sobbed.
"Please just don't take him from me. He is the only family I have. He is my everything, my life..."
I slowly took her right hand resting on her belly. It was cold and she is shivering. I almost wanted to hug her but contained myself.
"I won't take him away from you. Just give me the chance. Please.."
She wiped her eyes. Then looked at me. Smile small, I almost jumped with joy.