Back to Manila

"Are you okay?"
Roni seemed tensed since I fetched them in Cabanatuan this morning. She does not speak unless I talk to her or she says something to Trev.
"Y-yeah.." She said forcing a smile. I noticed her twisting her fingers. I knew she really is tense.
I held her hand resting on her lap. She looked at me worriedly then gave a look at Trev who is sitting at the back.
"I am just scared. It had been years since I escaped the city. I never thought of going back again."
"I see. Don't worry, whatever you had in the past, let us move on and start anew. This time, better life."
She smiled. I saw herself through that smile. A vulnerable girl hiding behind a tough woman. And I swore to myself that never will I break that vulnerability.
"Daddy, I am hungry. I want chicken from jollibee."
I smiled.
"Okay baby. We will stop by the next jollibee."
Trev got excited when I halted. He got out of the car although Roni tried to stop him.
"Trev, come back here."
"I just want to play around. Please mommy. I promise not to go far."
Roni looked at me.
"Allow him, baby. Just watch him."
I then turned to the counter and placed my order.
"Four, can you please watch over Trev for a moment. I need to go to the restroom."
"Yeah honey. Go ahead."
I smiled at her then looked at my son who was silently playing beside the jollibee mascot. Then the woman behind the counter called my attention. My order is ready.
"Four, where is he?"
I looked at Roni who just came from the restroom. I placed my wallet back in my pant.
"He was there."
We looked for him near the place. But we saw none. I noticed that Roni was even more tense and worried.
"Don't worry honey. We will find him. Come here. Stay here and I will look for him."
"Sama ako."
"No babe. You better stay here and wait for us. I promise go bring him back. Okay. I know he's just around the corner. Okay?"
I knew she really wanted to come but I just gave her a kiss.
"Excuse me-" a woman called us.
"Daddy," I looked at my son. "I'm sorry, I saw a puppy and ran after it. I got lost."
"Thank you ma'am for helping our son. We got worried. Its his first time in this place."
"Its okay. He is so adorable. I can't resist him."
"Ma-" I heard Roni say behind me.
"Is she the mother? You're pretty. You look like my daughter."
"Mama," finally Roni said clearly.
"Veronica?" The woman was shocked then was crying as she jumped at Roni.
"Oh my gosh ! Ang anak ko! Ikaw ba talaga to. Oh no. I missed you."
They were both crying while I held our son in my arms. We just watched them as they hugged each other.
*
Roni
"Mama..."
"Anak ko. Where have you been. Oh no. Youve grown a lot."
"Mama. I missed you. I'm sorry for leaving you."
"Shh. Honey its okay. Come here."
Muli naming nagyakap ni mama. Ang tagal ng panahon na lumipas. Hindi ko siya nakita at nakausap. God knows how much I've missed her.
"I think we should go to a better place. So you two can talk well." I heard Four suggested.
"That's a good suggestion."
Four suggested a fine restaurant nearby. Mama was very happy knowing about Trev.
"You are very handsome. You look like your father but you have you grandfathers eyes."
Mama was right. My son got my father's eyes. The thought of my father then silenced me.
"Honey, your father missed you. He has been asking forgiveness for everything he had done. You know, he'd been crying for nights. When you were gone, he got furious but hired detectives to find you. He'd been looking for you for over two years. On the third year, when he can't find you on the third year he decided that maybe you are happy wherever you are."
I again didn't stop myself from crying.
"I missed him mama. Whatever happened between us. I forgot those already, the pain and the rejections. How is he ma?"
"He is trying to be strong. Hoping that you will be back to us one day."
After a quick lunch, Four and Trev came with us.
*
.
.
.
Napakalakas ng kabog ng dibdib ko nang huminto ang sasakyan sa harap ng aming bahay. Four held my hand as he carry our son in his arms.
"Mommy where are we."
"Home baby. We will meet your grandfather."
"This is his house? It is bigger than the palace."
I know st smiled then kissed my son.
Nasa may garden si Papa nang pumasok kami. Nagbabasa ito ng libro. Bumilis ang pintig ng aking puso. Oh how I've missed you.
"Go say hai to your grandpa, baby." I heard my mother tell Trev. Binaba naman ni Four si Trev at tumakbo ito palapit kay papa. Nagulat si papa Nang makalapit dito si Trev.
"Hai grandpa."
Nakabakas ang gulat at pagtataka sa noo ni Papa. Naramdaman siguro nya ang aming presensya kaya napatingin siya sa direksyon namin. Napatayo siya Nang nakita ako.
"Papa..."
"Veronica?"
Nakita ko ang luhang pumatak sa mata ni papa. I was touched kaya napatakbo ako nagpayakap sa kanya.
"Papa. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Napahagulhul na ako nang yakapin ako ni papa.
"Veronica. No. No. Its me whose sorry. Sorry my daughter."
*
"You are going to be Mrs. Alacala tomorrow yet...."
"Yet what?"
Napakagat labi si Four. Nacurious tuloy ako. Anong iniisip nito?
"Roni, I love you. You know that don't you?"
"Of course."
"So?"
"So what?"
I got curious even more. Nang hindi pa siya sumagot at nanatiling nakatitig sa akin, naintindihan ko na ang ibig niyang sabihin.
"Four, I may have not said it but I do love you."
"You do?" His face lit up.
"Bakit ako sasama sa iyo dito kung hindi kita mahal. I believed the love you promised me and I too loved you. I appreciated your efforts, since then I did love you."
Napasmirk sa akin si Four tsaka ako hinila sa isang mahigpit na yakap.