Work, love and Meetings

Unedited

Tear stains on the pillow case were the evidence of what had happened last night.

Kanika had just fallen asleep when she was woke up from the so called slumber by the ringing doorbell.

She was hardly able to open her eyes because of the swelling caused by tears shed in the name of her love.

She turned on the lights and it was 7 in the morning.

"who could be at the door so early in the morning? " kanika wondered.
Only one name came in her mind "virat" she whispered.

She quickly got up from the bed and dashed towards the door. The ringing of the doorbell got persistent.

She stood there catching her breath.

With all hopes of seeing her Veekay she opened the door but to her disappointed, there stood Neelu with a tired expression and all her luggage.

Kanika stood there the hopes of seeing the love of her life were replaced by more sadness and a feeling of confusion over finding her best friend, who was supposed to be in Mumbai by now, on her door steps.

"what are you doing here neelu? " kanika asked confused.

"you to don't talk to me, you don't even know for how long I have been calling you where's your phone? "

"I think it is switched off" kanika replied tiredly.

Neelu noticed the swollen eyes and bags under her best friend's eyes.

"OMG what happened here, why were you crying, did that stupid idiot made you cry " Neelu asked in all her protective best friend mode.

Kanika could no longer stop the traitor tears and hugged her best friend, cried her heart out.

Neelu cuddled her friend in to a bear hug and said " hey Kanii stop crying let's go inside and you tell me which bone of that idiot I am supposed to break"

Kanika laughed at her friend's antics.
They moved Neelu's luggage inside and kanika told everything that happened last night to her best friend admist continuous tears and occasional sobbing.

"listen kanii give him some time, he loves you right, he will come back to his senses" Neelu said holding her friend's hand.

"But you didn't see his eyes, I could see the hurt, I don't think he is coming back"

"stop pestering yourself Kanu, virat is an intelligent man who sometimes goes in to dumb and dumber mode but he has no choice other than to come back here in your arms because he also knows that you are the best thing that happened to him and vice versa. " Neelu said reassuringly

"and I am just some decimal points below virat, don't ever forget that. "

Kanika smiled at her friend.

Neelu continued " now smile and get ready we have a meeting near the court house to attend to"

"meeting?? " kanika asked

"oh right I forgot to tell you the reason I didn't board my flight, actually I was about to get on the flight and I got a call from the legal team, there are some issues about our move to Italy that need to be sorted and we are required to be there so I called you since you were not picking up I came to see you, we have to be at the court house in about an hour"

"what legal issues? " Kanika enquired.

" don't worry our legal team is capable enough to handle such stuff, we just have to show up. Now stop asking questions go and have a shower, today I"ll pick out your outfit it will save us time and please do something about those swollen eyes apply some shadow, everybody would know that something is wrong"