Chapter seventeen

Sometimes I just wonder to myself; How can this guy be such an asshole, but at the same time I wouldn't want anything to happen to him no matter what he does?
I may never get to know why I think like that, or why I'm willingly staying with a psychotic serial killer. I sighed, as the apartment complex came into view. It's nice, though. He's giving me what I always wanted in life; a normal life. Although it won't be considered "normal" to anyone else, I like to think that it's perfectly fine. That I'm perfectly fine. This whole messed up situation is completely fine. I noticed how shaky I'm becoming, and calmed myself down a little bit, and continued following Jeff to the apartment. I half expected it to be some run down place with drug addicts everywhere, but it turns out to be a nice place with a decent city. I still wonder where he gets the money to afford everything we come upon on.

"You seem stressed," Jeff mentioned as he kept walking.

"Stressed? What makes you say that?" I asked running my fingers along the perfectly painted beige wall as I walked along the tile floor.

"You look like you've been thinking too much," Jeff said looking back at me for a quick second. I smile slightly. Only Jeff would know things like that.

"You shouldn't worry. I'm not stressed," I say. Jeff made a grunting noise.

"Tired, are you? I already set up the apartment a couple of years ago, so you're free to sleep if you want," Jeff says. Couple of years ago? How could he pay his rent for a couple of years?

"Where do you even get this money from, anyway?" I ask.

"I was in the system from Eric, and I got hundreds of thousands from that. Now that he's a traitor, I just steal money from my victims," Jeff shrugged. I shivered when he said victims like it was nothing. For a second, I forgot that he's a sociopath. In a twisted humor kind of way, it's hilarious that me of all people could forget something like that. He then opened up the door to a small apartment. It was simple place, and still had moving boxes inside. I sighed in relief, and flopped on the bed. A normal life.

"Go ahead, and sleep, it's not like we're doing anything today," Jeff said, "but I'm going to the store, you want anything?" I thought for a moment. I was about to say if I could have my old life back along with everything I owned that was taken away from me by him, but I figured that him holding a grudge against me won't help anybody. I shook my head, and he walked out the door.

Without Jeff, the apartment was dead silent. I then remembered how much I hated silence, and let out a groan. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but that was no use because I never have enough luck to actually go to bed when I want to. I sighed, and looked out the window. I mean...he didn't tell me I couldn't go anywhere. I walked out of the apartment, and headed out the door. I remembered that I don't have the keys, but Jeff would let me in when I got back anyway. I wonder how interesting this place really is.

//Jeff's POV//

I picked up some simple things like food for this week, some clothes, and a pocket knife for Y/N for when I'm not there for her and she needs to protect herself. It's not like I would leave her alone for a long time, but just in case someone hurts her. Or if I snap, and try to hurt her. However, I doubt she'd actually protect herself against me, since she puts too much of her trust in my hands. I sighed. She's so naive, but she seems happy even though most of the time her smile is fake. I shouldn't be thinking about her this much, it will only damage me. It's just that...she's different. She's more important to me than Vivian ever was. Vivian was like a sister to me that I would fight for. Y/N is...more than a sister to me that I would gladly die for, and that's why it was so hard killing Vivian. At first, I was on board with everything she was saying to me. Killing Y/N, killing the proxies, and tracking down Liu and making him suffer a long and terrible death. I was so stupid that I would agree to all of that. Y/N doesn't deserve all this, and we both know it. Why can't she just leave somewhere I can get to her?