Part 2: Weird Dreams

Lena's pov

Dad let my brother Lex drive us home from grandma's despite mom's adamant protests. Said he was really tired of all the fishing and barbeques, plus Lex has to finally learn how to follow traffic rules if he is to join the family business. And the only way to do that is to let him drive.

"Promise mom it'll be fine..."
I heard him say. "I may be a fast driver, but I'm careful too..."

" Yeah mom, he won't run beating red lights while you and dad are around" I said knowingly, since he's been caught for speeding multiple times but somehow, some way got out of it without our parents knowing. It's almost like an urban legend going on in the family.

"Talking as if she passed her driving class already...how about you take the wheel instead and let's see how you do it..." Lex said challenging me to our usual bicker fight.

"Just get in the car both of you so we can all go home. Tomorrow's Monday and you have yet to sign up for class, Lena," mom said as she put the rest of our stuff in the back of the car. "As for you, young man, you better keep your eyes on the road and mind your speed, otherwise your dad and I won't let you have your own car on your way to the university..."

"Now that's a bummer...thanks for support baby sis..." Lex said sarcastically.

I just smiled at him. I know he's not really mad or anything. That's just Lex, sarcasm is like his second skin.

And so we're off to go back home in Kentwood City, officially ending the family's summer trip. Just like the previous summers, everything was about sailing, fishing and barbeques with relatives. I'm not saying it wasn't fun because it was sure fun. Only this time, it feels like we're only keeping up the routine.

Its because I noticed some sort of tension between mom and dad. I don't know about Lex if he noticed it too, but I think there's something going on. I knew better than to ask them because I know they'll just shut me up, being the kid in the house, too young to understand and all, but I know how to put two and two together and not get ten. I guess I'll just keep my eyes and mind open. And my mouth shut...for now.

__________________________

3 and a half hours later...

I woke up to the sound of honking car horns. Apparently we're in some sort of traffic. I didn't realize I fell asleep during the drive home and had this really weird, if not disturbing, dream.

I dreamed that there was an alien invasion going on everywhere and I was doing something important to stop it. It was really weird because mom was there with her somber face hovering about and my next door neighbor Winslow Jr. Only they were kinda older. Mom got these wrinkles on her forehead and Winslow looked like some sort of junior executive in some office. I didn't get a -

"Wake up princess ! We're home and somebody needs a hand here bringing your stuff down..." Lex suddenly called from the back of the car. That was fast. We were just in traffic, and now we're home already? It's either Lex really lives up to his nickname or I zoned out again thinking how weird my dream was.

"I'm awake Speedy...and I can get my own stuff thank you," I said as I went in the back of the car to take my luggage from him.

"Daydreaming about prince charming in high noon princess?" He said teasingly.

"No Mr. Ticket, more like thinking about lunch...and then some," I said, only partly thinking of lunch and more of not-getting-over the weird dream. It felt so real I almost thought it was actually happening. I don't know, maybe I'm just tired. Or really hungry.

"Speaking of lunch, dad said we're having pizza since we didn't stop for grocery," he said, " wait, I think the former Montgomery residence has a new owner,"

I followed his line of sight to the house right in front of ours and saw there was an SUV parked in its driveway and a sedan in the front yard. There seems to be people inside the house so I guess somebody moved in there.

"Looks like it," I said, "I think they moved in there during the weekend"

"Maybe," he said. And he turned suddenly pulling the luggage I was holding and ran to our house."race ya, princess! First pepperoni slice is mine!"

As if pizza delivery has arrived already. Sometimes my brother makes me wonder when exactly he's gonna act his age. Despite the sarcasm and occasional childish attitude, I love my big brother.

Smiling, I tried to catch up with Lex while brushing off the weird images of my dream earlier. Maybe it was just my hungry tummy sending signals to my brain saying its lunchtime.