Part 58: Home

Lena's pov

The smell hit me first.

Strong odor of antiseptic was the first thing I was aware of. Then, I heard voices, but I can't tell for sure if it's human voices, or just bees humming in my ears. Then, I fluttered my eyes open at the blinding light , blinking more times than I'm capable of counting. I feel weak and queasy, and absolutely confused.

But as my vision began to clear, to see and realize I'm in a hospital, my head began to clear up as well. Most recent events started rushing back in to my memory bringing forth questions I've been meaning to ask, making me want to get up and find my answers.

As I moved, I felt a jolt of pain in my stomach. And I felt someone else move, leaning by my bedside.

"Hey..." Kara said in a soft but a little hoarse voice as she gently squeezed my hand, the feel of it made me forget all other pain there is. Her soft blue eyes are puffy in tears. I hate seeing her cry, I wish there was something I could have done to prevent all the crap we've both been through.

"Hi babe," I tried to say, weak and sleepy as I may feel right now, "how are you holding up?"

"Shouldn't I be the one to ask you that?" She said, her voice breaking as she held onto my hand firmly, as though I'll disappear if she lets go "you were the one who got a stray bullet on your tummy, you were the one who lost a lot of blood,"

"Not anymore, babe... You're here, I'm fine already... So, please... no more tears," I reached for her beautiful face as a drop of tear streamed down her cheek.

"Can't help it... I want to hug you but I'm scared I might hurt you,"

"Come here..."

I pulled her and she gave in, leaning down on me as we hugged each other. Sure, I did feel sore with the slight movement and the annoying beeping sounds around me picked up it's noise, but nothing ever beats the comfort of a hug.

Especially if it's from my Kara.

"Oh thank God! Lena! Someone call the doctor, now! How are you my dear? Does it hurt anywhere? You scared me running off like that and being taken hostage... Don't ever run away again, my little girl,"

Mom came in bursting from the door and frantically ripped Kara off me like a banana peel and wrapped her arms around me. If she's gonna start going on again about she doesn't like Kara and she's just nothing but trouble for me, I swear I'm gonna bolt out of this bed and this room and take Kara with me and get out of her sight for the rest of our lives.

"Mom..."

"Say no more, we'll get everything you need, everything you want...just rest, get better, get all of your strength back,"

"Mom... there's only one I need right now, other than explanation for everything that's just happened,"

Mom's reaction turned from extreme worry to stern-face in a split second. Now I'm starting to wonder what's about to happen to all that get-everything-I-need crap. I paid no mind to Mom's facial reaction and just turned my eyes to Kara who's been standing quiet behind her.

As Kara and I locked eyes, I just know for a fact mom turned only to glare at Kara, "Very well... five minutes, and five minutes only... you need rest, Lena. I'll be just by the door,"

I grinned at the way Mom tentatively took a step back. But before she finally left the room, I saw her whisper something to Kara.

Now I wonder what would that be...