Part 57: Hysterical Shock

Kara's pov

Thick and warm, it seeped through my hands.

Lena just lost her consciousness, and I'm scared shit that she can die any moment... or that she might be dead already. Just the thought of it made my entire chest, all lungs and heart and all of my ribs, crumble like freakin' cookies in a blender.

"Just keep pressing... Here, put my shirt on her wound, put pressure on it, it'll slow down the bleeding... I think," Mike took off his shirt and stuffed it in Lena's bleeding stomach.

He's hurt as well, but he didn't get shot. He's got bruises alright, nasty as they all look, but at least he's not bleeding his life out like Lena here.

We're still hiding behind these crates. What felt like centuries passing by was in fact just minutes. Next thing happened was the entire police force coming in every direction. From the choppers up above, to coast guards on the sea, cops in cars and SWAT teams arrived like the cavalry that they should be.

Help is finally here.

I looked down on Lena and she's pale, white as a sheet, devoid of rosy color in her cheeks and cold, she feels so cold, she seemed to have stopped breathing, "Lenaa!!!... please, don't die on me,"

I didn't realize I was wailing until I heard my own voice crack in an uncontrollable sob. I already thought I'd lose Lena because of what her mom and I had discussed, but I never would have thought I'd lose her this way, unceremoniously brutal and bloody messy.

I swear if she dies I'm gonna die with her.

"Kid, you can let go now... We got her, we got it from here," a paramedic suddenly appeared beside me taking my hand off Lena and called out to her partner, "Brett, we got female mid to late teens single gsw in the abdomen, no exit wound, unconscious and her friend right here is in hysterical shock, I don't think I'll get more info from her, take her some place else,"

"Got it," Brett person said, "Come on now kid, we'll take care of your friend... we'll take care of you, too..."

The paramedic pulled me away from Lena, forcefully dragging me because I held on tight, I don't wanna be anywhere else but be by her side, while the other one fussed about her bleeding stomach. Then, the paramedic led me to an ambulance nearby, asked me questions that my brain failed to process.

Then, in the middle of my crying fit, a pair of arms wrapped around my neck pulling me in for a tight hug, "It'll be fine... You'll get through this, we all will..."

It was Alex. I could hear her voice cracking as well, while not too far ahead was Winn sobbing in his hands and Maggie standing beside him grim anger spelled out in her face, both watching the people in uniforms do their job and keep Lena from dying. As for me, I broke down some more on Alex's shoulder. I just can't stop the tears from flowing like a damn grass sprinkler.

"You need to clean your hands Kara," Alex said.

I stopped a moment from wailing and stared at my hands. It's soaked like my eyes, only it's soaked in Lena's blood.

Lena's blood...

The air went out of my lungs and forgot to come back, it made me sob louder this time. Her blood in my hands was the most horrible thing I've ever seen and I just...

I can't...

I just...

...

...

____________________________

Alex's pov