Part 9: The Surprise

Lena's pov

I can barely keep up with her pace. My mom's long legged and she walked really fast. I was on my way home from Kara's across the street when I saw mom storm out of our house. I wonder what exactly just happened.

So I decided to follow her trying not to get her attention, because if I did she'll just shut me off and send me home. So, here we are, mom's marching ahead of me, and I'm trailing about ten feet behind her.

After about four blocks from our street, she stopped in front of an old brownstone house. She went straight up the steps knocking impatiently. I couldn't make out who opened the door, but I can see my mom's furious face and the controlled anger in the way she talked.

There was an exchange of words for about a minute then mom shoved the person inside and went in straight ahead, door slamming behind her. I was gonna come after when my phone buzzed. I checked and saw it was Kara.

I just missed answering her call by a fraction of a second, and I'm wondering if I should call back right away. I'm still a little confused with what happened back there in her front yard.

One moment we were just talking trivial things, and then we were laughing senselessly. Next thing I realized, I was staring in her brilliant blue eyes, mesmerized.

Right then and there, I remembered the first time I saw her by her window. It was only a moment but I already know she's pulling me and felt my heart skip a beat. I ignored it deliberately all this time, thinking this isn't right. And then, just like that, it all made sense to me.

I'm falling for her. All that attraction, all that spark, us getting along so well and so fast, I am falling in love with Kara Danvers. But I can't be.

Mom and Dad expects a lot from me. This isn't one of them. The truth is, I feel scared. I haven't felt so strongly about anyone until Kara came into my life, and it scares the guts out of me. My mom would definitely disown me and dad would be so disappointed, and Lex...I don't wanna think about this anymore.

And just like on cue, Kara sent me a message saying Maggie's looking for a study buddy and her cousin, Alex, was still with her.

I was debating with myself whether I should go fetch Maggie or wait and find out what's up with mom. I was gonna turn back to go to Kara's but I saw my dad's car pull up in front of the old brownstone. He came out running straight to the house.

Now, I just need to find out what is going on. So there I was, I walked towards the said house. I'm not sure if I was going to eavesdrop or just knock and get face to face with what's happening. I chose to knock, and I was about to when it opened suddenly by a guy about the same age as me with the same dark hair like mine. We looked at each other surprised.

"Mike, son...wait," I heard my dad's voice as he came out and saw me. "Lena?"

He said son. My dad called this Mike guy son. Realization hit me like a speeding train.

"What are you doing here?" Dad said as this Mike person went past me walking fast away from here.

I don't know what to say. Or how to tell my dad I followed mom here. Speaking of mom, she's storming again, only out of this place this time when she saw me at the threshold.

"What the...Lena, go home now!" She told me red-faced with fury.

"Mom, Dad, What-"

"Lena, get in the car and let's talk about this at home," dad said calmly.

"You said you cut them off already, Lionel!" Mom said as she faced him outside the house. "You lied to me, again!"

"Lillian, please...not here,"

Instead of going inside dad's car, mom marched off the street to go home. As for me,...well, after I gave dad one last glance, I walked after mom.