Part 12: Dance Off

Kara's pov

Lena is sad, not sick. She's going through something and she's not telling. As much as I wanted to know, I didn't push it. But I made it clear to her that I'm here for her, whatever she needs.

To distract her, I took her to a nearby local arcade place. She was reluctant at first so I thought she wasn't gonna come, but here we are now, looking around in the arcade.

"I used to play race cars. That's my favorite game in the arcade. What about you?" I tried to make small talk because she's been quiet for a while.

I'm used to her being a chatterbox. From books and its authors and passages to movies and its actors and theme songs. She can tell me stuff and she gets me to tell her stuff too. Right now, I just wonder what's bothering her so much.

She never mentioned any, but I wonder if she and a boyfriend had a fight or something. I would hate it if some guy hurts Lena and makes her sad like this. Actually, I think I just hate the idea that she might just have a boyfriend, mentioned or not.

"It's my brother's favorite..." She said looking closely at the coin operated racing car booths.

"Lex has a thing for cars...I remember you said that before. He likes speed. Actually, me too but I still don't know how to drive an actual car..." I said. "Do you want to try?"

"Pass...speed isn't my thing," she said as she walked ahead. But she turned to me abruptly and grabbed my hand. "I'll show you what I want to try..."

She pulled me around the arcade, zigzagging a number of game machines. I really like the way her hand feels in mine. It's warm and soft, delicate, slender and firm all the same, not to mention it gives me the best feeling in the world. Happy.

"I want to try this," Lena said, stopping in front of a dance machine.

"Dance. Revolution. Extreme??" I said dumbfounded. "Seriously?"

"Yeah!!" She said full of enthusiasm, like a kid getting a Happy meal toy.

Okay...for the record I'm a fair singer, sure I can sing on any given day, but dance? I don't dance, I have two left feet where dancing is concerned.

"No way..." I told Lena shaking my head. "How about karaoke? Let's listen to you belt out a Celine Dion classic,"

"Yes way to dancing...Let's finally see you groove like Justin Timberlake," she said pulling me.

Next thing I know we're at the platform, I'm standing stupefied at the idea of dancing, and Lena's punching buttons in the machine setting it up for both of us.

"I really don't know how to dance in this thing..." I said nervously. "Actually, I really don't know how to dance at all,"

"Me too," Lena replied,"but let's figure it out together..."

Then, the very upbeat music started playing, computer animated dancing images on the screen began their very complicated dance moves. Lena made it look so simple, but still its complicated for me.

"Come on! You got this...move those feet, Kara," she urged me. Next thing, I was mimicking the same moves, and I was having the best time. Seriously, I've always dreaded dancing, but right now with Lena, it turns out to be one of the most fun things to do in life. Especially, if you get to do it with someone you love.

____________________

Lena's pov

After Kara and I had the dance off, we hit the hoops and scored a bunch of tickets, then we tried the hammer thingy. Then we tried some video games and pacman also for like two minutes and then moved on to bowling.

Time passed by so fast we didn't noticed it was already dark. By the time we left the arcade with  the purple teddy I got from the claw thingy machines in Kara's arm, the city lights are brightened and blinking at us.

Instead of riding the bus home we both decided to just walk. More like I suggested it and Kara went along with it. Its just that I don't want all of our fun together end so soon just yet.

As we talked while strolling in the bright downtown sidewalk, it felt perfect to me. Just there with Kara, walking side by side talking, laughing at anything, its the best time ever.

"Thanks..." I told her out of the blue.

"For what?" She said with a very charming little grin.

"For today...I really had fun. Maybe we could do this again,"

"Except for the dancing, sure Lena, we'll go try the race cars next time..." She's still not over our hilarious epic dance routine.

"We both didn't know how to dance but we managed to get a kick out of it anyway."

"True...I never danced crazy like that ever, but it was really fun..."
She said smiling.

"Lena, I know you got something in your mind, I just hope you feel better...whatever's bothering you, you'll get through it. Just remember, you got friends to count on. You got me..." Kara said after a while.

I appreciate what Kara's doing very much. She's really kind, making it all so much easier to fall for her.

"My dad cheated on mom, he's got a child with someone other than mom..." I said, telling her the most painful debacle my family ever faced.

She listened to everything, not interrupting my speech of how betrayed I felt, of how sorry I am for my half brother, of how fake mom and dad's relationship ever since. I felt like bursting with anger, I stopped talking.

In my silence, I felt Kara's hand gently took mine. She pulled me, and in the middle of the bright city sidewalk, in the midst of all the passersby, she hugged me. I didn't realize I was crying already. All the tears I held back just spilled uncontrollably in Kara's shoulder. I just sobbed there, and she held me.

Then, she lifted my chin up, looking deep in my eyes, probably reading my mind. She lightly brushed a strand of my hair from my face, gently wiping the tears off my cheek. I closed my eyes and I felt her kiss my forehead softly.

Instantly, a thousand butterflies fiercely fluttered in my stomach, and a thousand volts of electricity sent heat all over me. Right then and there, everything is perfect.

"It's going to be fine...you will be fine. Give it time, and everything will be better..." She murmured as she hugged me one more time.

With Kara holding me like this, yes...everything will be better. With her, everything is better.