Part 45: Prison

Mike's pov

Dad and Lillian are fighting upstairs.

They had been arguing for an hour now about almost everything. Mostly about me staying here with them and I'm really getting used to it by now. However, right this minute, they're arguing something about Lena. I can't clearly hear the exact words they were exchanging, but it came to my understanding that Lena was being sent away.

Just what exactly had they're perfect daughter been doing to have her sent to a fancy boarding school miles outside the city.

_________________________

Lena's pov

I woke up feeling like my head tripled it's size and weight.

But I woke up remembering quite vividly the events that led me into this... this prison. After seeing all that luggage with her sitting in the dark, I really thought Mom was gonna leave us because of all the fights, disagreements and disappointments that happened.

How wrong was I...

Those initials in the suitcase doesn't stand for mom's name. It stands for Lena Luthor, it stands for my name.

I fought off my mom that moment I realized she's sending me to a boarding school. Her boarding school, since she said she went to the same school way back when. Said that it will be her pride and joy to have me attend the same school, that it will be a privilege for me to be here.

We argued furiously because I don't wanna be here. I was happy where I was, I don't see the necessity for me to transfer school, I had good grades. Good enough for me to receive early acceptance letters from universities. Well, I didn't really see the reason until mom mentioned Kara.

Our bout of disagreement escalated, one can only guess what's it all about, and reached to the point where I tried to run off and she had me restrained and sedated.

Several hours later, here I am wide awake in some stiff bed with starch white covers and pillows in it, flooding my eyes with salty tears, wishing Kara was here with me, wishing that she's right beside me holding me close.

Mom kept saying being with Kara was wrong, that Kara will just ruin my life, that Kara is not good for me. Well, here's what I say... the only one ruining me right now is my own mother. My mother who just can't accept a simple fact that I am not what she expect me to be, what she wanted me to be.

Kara is the best that ever happened in my life and now that we're apart, I am a wreck. A total wreckage, like oceanic flight eight one five, being trapped in this place where I can't see Kara. Trapped in this maze of a school where they enforce rules like Nazis brought back to life.

I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to Kara,...

________________________________

Kara's pov

She usually texts back in less than a minute.

Now, its been forever but she hasn't replied to any of my texts. Okay, maybe its only like just ten minutes and about ten messages ago, but it feels like forever.

"Here she comes..." Alex poked her head in and whispered from outside the door, "Put it back now and get out...like right now!!"

I turned off my phone and placed it back in mom's drawer and hurried out of her bedroom. I sneaked out my phone last night while mom was snoozing the evening off with cucumbers in her eyes and charged it. I actually waited for it to at least have two bars, that took at least an hour to get. Luckily, mom was still deep in her slumber when I put it back.

Now, early morning rise and I, for the first time, was the one to drag Alex off her bed to help me sneak out my phone so I can text Lena. She was my lookout by the stairs, all the while mom was fussing in the kitchen. Lena hasn't sent me a reply, she must have been very tired and still sleeping. My time was up and I had to put my phone back to its little dark prison.

"Did you get to do your stealthy mission back there?" Alex asked as I fell in step with her pace going down the stairs, both of our footfalls startling mom who was on her way up.

"Well, good morning you two, and... what do you know... You both woke up early today after our late night discussion. I'm used to Alex waking up early, but you, dear daughter?..." Mom said suspiciously, "What's up?"

"Uhm...I, ah, I just want to be early for school," I said a little nervously that made Alex roll her eyes and shook her head as she moved to grab herself some breakfast. Good thing she's already behind mom, 'cause if mom caught sight of the action, that surely would raise further questioning...

"Uh-huh... you want to be early so you can meet up early with your girlfriend, since you don't have a phone to text her, right?"

I swallowed hard, thinking what mom just said about meeting Lena early isn't really a bad idea. Then I realized this my mom I'm talking to, and she knows me so damn well. Can't help it but smiled at her sheepishly...

"If you intend to have your phone back, sweetie... earn it, don't sneak it out of my drawer," mom said as she moved past me by the stairs.

"Sorry..." was all I can muster.

"I know, dear daughter... "

Alex was chuckling over the rim of her coffee mug as I walked past her. Its kinda annoying, so I slapped her arm. "Shut up," I said.

"You were very obvious, on top of that your mom knows you,"

"You think she was testing me?" I asked after I settled myself in front of Alex with a bowlful of frosties.

She shrugged as she sipped her coffee and then took a bite off her bagel smothered with cream cheese.

"Lena usually texts back real quick, and I was there waiting long enough," I went on talking as I stuffed my mouth with frosties, "It's so not like her,"

"Someone's overreacting..."

"No really... I know Lena is as much of an early riser as you are, I am sure she should be awake by now,"

"Your girlfriend had a full day playing soccer and running off all over the city with you yesterday, can't she be just tired and a bit entitled to a late morning in bed?"

I thought about that. Maybe Alex is right. Lena must have been just really tired, and I'm overreacting. Okay... I won't say overreacting because I don't do that. Let's put it in another words... I just miss her already, and I can't wait to see her... it's more like it.

Maybe I should drop by right after breakfast and say hello...