Open Court

Elizabeth was up very early, putting on white powder to her face, and trying different styles with her hair. She decided on a long French style braid. She wore it down her back and it stopped just above her waist. My hair was significantly longer than Elizabeth's. It was worn in a ball most of the time.

"You have to let me do your hair. Please Ayla! I know the perfect style. I noticed it on one of the ladies yesterday that had long hair like yours, and it will definitely get you attention." She giggled. I allowed her to brush my hair. She had taken her mother's silver hair brush. The bristles were made from coarse horse hair, and it made my hair softer than the silk material of our dresses.

Elizabeth had brushed my hair until it was completely straight. It hung down and rested along my buttocks. She braided the sides up to the back, where they were tied into my free flowing silver locks.

"It's... so lovely, Elizabeth. Thank you!" I hugged her. We sat in the embrace for a few minutes. She turned to me, almost in tears.

"Elizabeth... what's wrong? You look beautiful too. We both look amazing." I said truthfully. She nodded, smiling. "I know... but after today we may not go to court together. We may never see each other again." She said somberly. Elizabeth was right. There were multiple lords and other royals that would pick from open court. We may not leave together. The thought sobered us both.

We dressed in our fine silk gowns, ready to impress. William drove the carriage to the front of a very large grey stone building on the northern end of town. It had a steeple, and multiple glass window panes of multiple colors. It had a large set of double doors that were opened with two large men at each side. Standing next to them were a handful of children holding platters of food.

Elizabeth and I walked down the cut grass entrance towards the large towering men. They were wearing red uniforms with tall black boots, like soldiers. Before we entered the door, a pair of small boys stood in front of us and held up some small pieces of food on a silver platter. Elizabeth and I politely declined. We had no idea what the small white balls were, and didn't want to risk offending anyone.

The doors led into a very large room. It looked like it once was a church that had been changed into ballroom. The floor was a scuffed marble, and the large windows were draped with various colored curtains to accent the dozens of dressed ladies. The center of the floor was empty, and all of the women were standing to the left side. The men were on the right, and there were far less of them. To the back of the room were a set of steps that led up to a set of four chairs. The one on the far left was the largest. It was wooden and the seat was covered in a red cushion. The three beside it were smaller, and identical.

Elizabeth and I made our way to the side with the rest of the women. A few of them stared at us. "We look like peasants. That has to be why everyone is staring..." Elizabeth said quietly. She dropped her head. "No.." I said whispering into her ear, "We look like absolutely gorgeous ladies... that's why they're staring." I giggled.

A short, petite girl with brown hair came up to us, smiling. "Hello." She said politely. Her eyes were silver, just like the man from last night. "Hello." Elizabeth and I spoke in unison. "My name is Maryann, please call me Mary. Welcome to court." She curtsied, and we returned.

Before we could speak, Mary darted away to the next couple of females that walked in the door. "Well that was... pleasant." Elizabeth said, giggling. I let out a small laugh as I scanned the room. There were about 50 ladies, and about ten men. Many more ladies than either of us had expected, but it made sense. Open court was for low born women to have a chance at a noble born opportunity. If you were pretty, and could could pass off, a noble would accept you into court under his house. A lady would eventually be able to marry a high born lord, sometimes even better, and have a chance at a better life simply because of her beauty.

Many lords liked lower born women for their beauty, especially if the lord couldn't afford a hefty dowry for a high born lady.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Everyone's attention was drawn to the stage. A tall older man with a wooden staff tapped it on the marble floor.

"Ladies." He said, bowing to our side of the room. "Gentleman, lords, dukes." He said, motioning towards the men. There amount of men had at least tripled since we last glanced. The rest of the ladies were whispering and talking under their breath, eyeing the noble born men across the room.

"At this time, we will please encourage you all to say hello to one another, and make acquaintances." Said the man with the staff. He bowed, and stepped back and walking off the steps. Behind him were a few men, holding instruments. They began playing a soft melody.

In a commotion, heels and skirts crossed the floor in a flash. Men walked proudly and one by one, couples were forming to dance. Elizabeth and I had never danced formally. She had danced with William, and I had allowed some of the lord's other nights to teach me simple ballroom footing. I watched the other ladies carefully, memorizing their movements.

Before I knew it, Elizabeth disappeared. I scoured the room for an emerald dress, and noticed her on the arm of a handsome dark haired man. I smiled for her.

I felt a hand touch my shoulder, and turned. "And here I didn't think you could get any more beautiful. But I enjoy being wrong." Said a familiar deep voice. I met a pair of silver eyes, and a familiar smirk.