Awake

Warm.

I felt... warm. I didn't want to open my eyes for fear it was a dream. I stretched my body slightly and I could feel no pain. It was a comfortable stretch, my hips ached a bit as if I hadn't moved in days.

I had to be dead. I could barely remember anything good beyond the hell I had lived. Vague pictures in my memory of darkness. Flashes of blood and of pain. Feeling his hands on my body.

I shot up instantly and realized I was back in the bed chamber in Thaddeus' castle. Relief washed over me quickly. The bed below me was soft under my body and I could see the window and the sun outside peeking directly onto the bed. It was nearly sunset.

Had it all been such a horrible dream? I checked my wrists. Nothing. My body felt fine.

I curled back into a ball and felt my back stretch. I contorted myself over and over again, feeling my body stretch in every way. My muscles needed to move.

I got up from the bed and examined myself further. I was in a sheer white gown again. The air hit my skin through the light silk as I walked. I strode to the door.... It was locked. I tried again to no avail and knocked lightly.

No answer.

I knocked again, balling a fist and hitting the door with more force.

No answer.

"Damnit." I breathed.

Still locked in this damn room! I walked back towards he window and watched the sun set beautifully behind the trees.

Click.

I turned as the door swung open and I was mat with a pair of wide hazel eyes.

"Thaddeus!" I screamed as he was in me in an instant. His hands swept to my sides and he held me still as his eyes trailed my body frantically.

"Ayla..." his voice trailed. He looked like a complete mess. His hair wasn't styled or combed and his eyes look as if he hadn't slept or eaten anything in weeks. He gazed at me as if seeing me for the first time in years. I cupped my hands to his face and pulled him towards me but he turned his head away from me.

"Thaddeus I-"

"Stop. You need to eat." He removed his hands from me momentarily to clap very loudly. In a second one of the boys from before darted in with a tray of bread and some roast meat accompanied by a cup. He set it down on the bed, bowed, and scurried out without looking from the ground.

Thaddeus guided me over and pointed at the food. His face was stern.

"I'm not hungry." I answered. I had just woken up, I didn't want to eat. I wanted to talk.

"Eat this. You've been asleep for four days, Ayla. You should be dead. You should be weak and instead you're walking around as if you're perfectly fine." His voice came to a whisper.

"Four days!?"I yelled. He nodded and put his hands on my shoulders. Turning my body to face the tray. I picked up the bread and stuffed it into my mouth followed by a sip of the cold water to wash it down. The food hit my stomach and only then did the hunger pain set in.

"Thaddeus?"

"Yes?"

"What day is it?"

"The 9th."

"Of August?!!" I screamed. He nodded and I nearly choked down a bit of water.