Mistake

I found it hard to sleep with the impending knowledge that I might see Elizabeth soon. I doused the two torches that hung above the door mantle and lay alone in the darkness.

My mind was heavy with the thought that I would be possessed by such a creature. Moreover, that such a thing existed in this world.

I recalled the pleasurable fire and utter bliss I had felt. And I remembered the fear and disgust. After my encounter with Nathaniel, I wanted to die. Had Thaddeus changed my mind so much? He was no different. He bit me, played with my mind, and now said that I was his. I belonged to him.

And what was to become of me after? Surely I would die. Or worse, be tossed to a different monster for mean of pleasure or fun. The thought rattled me to my core.

I wanted a normal life away from court. Away from lords and ladies. Away from arrogant monstrous Kings. I needed to escape. But I had already seen how fast they moved... I could blink and they would catch me. They had to have some sort of Achilles heel? Something they weren't able to do?

Maybe I could seduce him and find out. Men were so happy talking when they were happy. But I feared falling into his own trap. I could already feel the pull to him, and the want. And now he could sense my emotions. I had to remain calm, no matter what I did.

Click.

I heard the door and turned, half expecting Thaddeus to walk in and strangle me for my treacherous thoughts. It was Mary. I was almost relieved to see her. She was holding some of my gowns and undergarments draped over her arms.

"I brought you these dear. I figured you would want something else besides that blood stained gown." She walked over and handed them to me.

"Thank you." I set them on the bed, stroking the familiar fabric.

"Mary, can I ask you something?"

"Anything Ayla." She sat next to me.

"What time is it... what day? There aren't windows and I just miss outside so much." I groaned. It was true, I had been outside every day since I could remember. Rain, storm, snow, and sun.

"It's near dawn now. You've been here for two days. And if you move into the King's adjacent chambers, you'll have a glass window." She said. The thought of a window excited me.

"Can I walk outside? Are there grounds? I just miss the sun so much, and it would truly make me happy. I'll take you with me! So that they will trust me not to run away..." I glanced at her with a smile. She had a strange look on her face.

"No, Ayla that wouldn't work. Maybe later we can find a servant to escort you."

"But you wouldn't want to go with me?"

"Maybe a different time. I'm quite a night lover myself." She giggled lightly, like she had told a joke. I was confused.

"For now, I must go rest soon. I suggest you do the same. At sunset I'll me moving you to a different chamber."

"Why not now?"

"Because I am tired, Ayla. And it must be me to take you, since you seem to have a good knack at pissing Thaddeus off. Since you have such a strong will, he's amused... for now. Please don't push it." Her tone was dark. I swallowed hard.

"Will... will he always drink from me?" I shuddered at the thought of being drained of all my life again. But maybe he was different. He hadn't drained me to unconsciousness. It was very different.

"He will, yes. Do not expect him to be kind, and  do not expect him to give you any special gifts or favors. And if by some chance he offers you his own blood, don't drink it." My stomach knotted. I had already drank his blood. Am I going to die?

"Why would he offer me his blood?" I pretended as though I didn't pull his blood into me like some lunatic whóre already.

"Ayla.. you're a sweet girl. But drinking blood from a vampire isn't something humans do. It can heal you if you're terribly sick I suppose, but the true purpose is a bond between a human and vampire, or vampire and vampire. It's seduction, lust, and sex in liquid form. Thaddeus deserves someone who will love him, someone who understands him, and someone like him." Her eyes trailed off, staring out into nothing. She smiled quickly, and turned back to me.

"And you are not. He should have no reason to offer it. Simply tell him no. You can do that, right? You've done it so well already." She mused. I nodded plainly.

"Good." She stood and moved towards the door.

"I must sleep now. I'll be back this evening to escort you to your new chambers. Sleep well." And with that, she was gone.