Tension

Ayla's POV

I heard the sadness in Thaddeus' voice as he was talking about Aldred. He sat next to me, silent. I turned towards him. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness and I could see his face. He sat and stared towards the wall, no doubt lost in past thought.

I cupped his cheek with my hand. His body stiffened at my touch, and he turned to face me. I knew he felt my emotions, but could he feel how much I cared for him? This monster that was truly broken had captured me and held me here. Yet here I was wishing for nothing more than to touch him.

"Thaddeus, I-" he grabbed my and pulled me into his lap. I gasped, enjoying feeling my legs wrapping around him.

"I'm very tired." He said softly. I looked into his beautiful hazel eyes and it was all I could do to hold myself back from finally pressing my lips to his.

"Maybe you should go to sleep?" I whispered near his mouth. He stared at my lips. I became nervous under his gaze. I bit my lip anxiously.

In one swift move Thaddeus turned me over and was in top of my in an instant. My hair flipped wildly in my face. He gently used one hand to move it to the side and stared down at me.

I realized now we hadn't actually kissed. We hadn't done anything except exchanging blood, and I already felt so aroused by his very presence. He had given me the most amazing pleasure of my life while keeping my maidenhood intact. My breathing became heavy as he stroked my cheek with his hand, just staring at me. He cocked his head and a strange look flashed over his face.

"Sleep." He said stiffly, rolling over onto his side. His face turned away from mine and he pulled the large blanket from the bottom of the bed to cover me. In an instant I went from aroused to confused as his silence pained me.

I lay for a while staring at the darkness. My thoughts trailed to tragedy and death, and then to him. Eventually sleep overcame me.

I awoke slowly some time later. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness so well I could see color in the blackness. Strange; hadn't ever been able to see this well before. I searched for a light source in the room but there were none.

I tried to roll and shift myself into a comfortable position but noticed a weight across my stomach. It was Thaddeus' arm draped over me. My stomach flipped as I enjoyed the feeling of the weight above me. I stared at his arms and noticed the same black markings on his shoulder. They trailed around to his chest and disappeared as his body sank into the sheets. Why did he have more of the markings?

I gently moved off of the bed, careful not to move his arm too much. I stepped onto the cold floor and shivered in my short white night dress.

I glanced at Thaddeus. The blanket covered his lower half, leaving his entire back and both arms exposed in the darkness. I enjoyed the view of his muscular torso. I could clearly make out the markings I had seen earlier. And more. Were they spreading? Was it a disease? My confusion started to spread to panic.

"Ayla, what's wrong?" I heard a soft voice call. Thaddeus was awake.

"Nothing. I couldn't sleep." I lied.

"You're panicking, I can feel it. It awoke me from a dead sleep. And you're still a horrible liar." He rolled over to his side facing me. The marks swirled around his chest like a thick black vine slowly engulfing his body.

"I just... I.. your mark. It's growing... I see more of it now on your shoulder. Is something wrong?" I asked. His expression darkened and he sighed.

"I'm in no immediate danger, I assure you." He said. He sat up and motioned for me to come to him. I walked to where he was sitting and faced him. In a swift movement he pulled me to his lap and I cradled my arms around his neck quickly.

Before I could react, Thaddeus' mouth crashed into mine. I wrapped my arms around him tighter, pulling me closer to him. My body felt like fire under his touch. His mouth was cool on my lips, but they were soft.

I wasn't expecting the most pleasurable sensation to come from my very core. I could feel myself throbbing. I rubbed my legs together, enhancing the feeling. I wanted him now.

He pushed my down onto the bed and I landed with a soft blow. I stared up at him through my heavy eyes. His eyes gazed over me intently, tracing my body with his stare. I lay still, watching Thaddeus quietly watching me.

"I shouldn't want you." He growled. His mouth met mine again, possessing me. I trembled suddenly, but it wasn't from the cold. I felt his body shift over me and I wrapped my legs around him. He broke the kiss, allowing me to breathe.

"But you do... want me?" I breathed. It came out more of a question than I wanted. This point was when Thaddeus would reject me. Such a beautiful monster could have any woman he wanted. I was an abandoned girl that grew up with nothing, and he was centuries old.

He parted his lips slightly and looked into my eyes. I saw his chest rise and fall with his nostrils flaring.

"I can't remember a time where I have wanted anything more. But I will take nothing from you. I have already done too much, Ayla." His voice grew quiet.

"Then don't take anything. I'll give it all to you." I had no idea where the words of confidence had came from. Everything I had ever dreamed, every fantasy I had ever had... it wasn't this. I'm in the darkness with a monster seducing me with his every move.

"No." He said in a husky breath. His face was near mine again, his restraint obvious. I could tell he was fighting back the urge to kiss me again... or more. His body was very obvious about what it wanted.

I pouted and turned onto my stomach beneath him. He was sitting on my very voluptuous rear end. I felt his attention growing.

I smirked in triumph when Thaddeus sighed. He leaned over me and brought his mouth to my ear. He began to kiss down my neck.

"We still have an hour of daylight left. You need to sleep." I mused. He didn't stop his kisses.

"Thaddeus..." I practically moaned as his hands reached under me, grabbing my breasts. I arched into him, making him take in a sharp breath.

"Ayla, we can't." He said with a great effort, removing his hands. His tone was strained. I felt his weight slide off of me and sit back on the bed. I turned to see Thaddeus' face buried in his hands. Had I done something wrong?

"I'm sorry." I said. I didn't even know why I said it, nor did I know what I did.

"No, I'm sorry. I have been keeping a secret from you since the day I met you." He said softly. He looked at me and sighed. My heart dropped and nervousness took over.

"A secret about me?" What could he possibly know?

"Yes. It's about your family."