The Box

The salty air of the ocean sprayed into the old man's face as he stared into the dark sea. He glanced at the galleons and gun ships that lined the docks of the harbor as he paced the length of the boardwalk, a picture of shining reflections in the moonlight on the water.

The old man was awaiting someone, but he did not know who. He did not know a face, or a name. He simply knew he must wait here, for as long as it took. Even if it took until his death, he would wait.

The echo of footsteps through the salt air broke his thoughts. He turned to see the figure of a man standing in he middle of the previously empty dock.

"Evenin' m'lord." He said to the mysterious figure. This was what he was waiting for.

"Gustav, how pleasant to see you again." The figure spoke with a smooth tone. How did the man know his name? He should be alarmed, but his body was calm as he listened.

"I trust our arraignment has been made?" He spoke.

"Yes m'lord. The Roman apothecary sent its best, a bit difficult to acquire..." Gustav bowed and pulled a wooden box from under his tanned waistcoat. An insignia outlined the top of the box, engraved with swirling black marks throughout the wood. Gustav took a step towards the figure standing in front of him, extending the box in his hands.

"This is absolutely fantastic, Gustav. You have never disappointed me." He smiled down at the old man, his teeth glistening against the moonlight. Gustav looked into the man's face, and yet it was as blank as the face he had yet to see before tonight. He could not make out a pair of eyes, or a nose. Simply a blurred image in the darkness. He tried to piece together an imagine in his mind, but to no avail.

The figure took the box from him and opened it promptly. His light eyes scanned the contents of the box and he smiled. Gustav shivered involuntarily at the gesture, his very instincts fighting against the clouds in his mind.

"Is there anything else, m'lord.." he said as he took a step back, bowing his head.

"That will be all. Until next time, old friend?" He said softly as he extended his hand to Gustav. The old man looked up as he reached out his wrinkled and calloused hand, slightly shaking in the cold. He met those cool pair of eyes and his body froze.

"You have no memory of tonight. You simply took a walk on the docks, enjoyed the sea breeze, and went home." The voice transcended into every fiber of Gustav's body. He relaxed, removed his hand back to his jacket, and turned his own way into the night.