Selection

The two hours it took from when I had glanced at the party room, to when I came up and saw the grand majesty of the decor, was a short time. The room was lined with tables of food. In the center were multiple platforms nearly as tall as I was, with performers on them. The woman in the middle had dark skin, I had never seen such beauty before. She wore a pink dress that fit over her curves. Her eyes and short hair were dark, and she was singing an opera in a language I didn't recognize. Her voice carried over the crowd and echoes off of the vaulted ceiling, and I was nearly entranced.

There were two men on each side that were contorted in strange shapes, bending and twisting their back, arms and legs. It hurt for me to look at them. They were dressed in large puffy clothing if many colors.

Small groups of ladies had gathered, talking amongst one another. Many of the noble men were near the stairs by the throne. Were they waiting for the king? No. A few had gone to mingle with the ladies.

I saw Jacqueline in her powder blue and made my way towards her. A man stepped in front of me. He was slightly above my height, with curly blonde locks and brown eyes. He was young, possibly my same age. His face was narrow, and he had not yet matured into his looks. He bowed.

"My name is Lord Henry, resident Lord of Cheshire. I haven't seen your face here before." He smiled, and offered me his hand. I paused.

"My name is Lady Ayla. I have no house, I am new to court. I am pleased to make your acquaintance my Lord Henry, but my dance is promised to another tonight." I took his hand and courtsied to him. He bowed again, and deep smile forming on his lips.

"He is indeed a lucky man, Lady Ayla. It's rare that beauty such as yours graces court. And I am too glad that you declined my offer." He smiled. I cocked my head. "But wh-" "I only ask you to dance with me because my father is watching, and if I do not, he will question my manhood." His voice shook. I understood now.

I had heard of men of certain persuasion. Men of perversion, that only fancied other men, and not women. It never made sense to me why others hated it so much. I never judged a man by his fancy.

I took Lord Henry's hand gladly, and he led me across the floor to a small group of couples that were entwined in dance. He moved with a flare and grace.

"Thank you my lady. I apologize for putting you in such a spot.."

"I assure you, my lord. It is no fault of your own. And.. I understand." I nodded to him.

"And you have found a loyal friend on this day." He laughed.

"But.. how will your father be? You have to take over his lordship. And to do so, you must have a wife.. I'm so sorry, I am out of line." I bowed my head as our heels clicked faster, matching the pace of the song.

"When the time comes, I shall marry." His somber tone held strong. "But until then, I assure you court has many opportunities." I saw his eyes stare off to the distance. He spun me, and I noticed a man across the room, his eyes locked on us. On Henry. I giggled.

The dance ended, and no sooner did Henry release me, then Jacqueline trotted over to me.

"A little young, but handsome nonetheless!" She giggled, watching Henry walk away. I laughed. "Maybe. But I think I will keep an open mind."

Tap. Tap.

A loud sound came from the stage, and the room was silent instantly. A man took the stage, wearing blue dress pants and a dark black overcoat. It was Nathaniel.

"Ladies, gentleman. Welcome. His majesty welcomes you all to this lovely feast. He will be joining us shortly, and wishes that everyone eat, drink and dance their fill." He held his hands up, and the room filled with buzzing again. The instruments played, and the beautiful dark lady began to sing.

Nathaniel locked eyes with me, smiling. I turned to Jacqueline. "That was him." I said proudly. She looked at me, wide eyed. "That's the man that brought you? I am so jealous.  He is one of the best catches in court... he is the regent for the king himself. Not to mention he-" she paused abruptly.

"Please, my lady. I do love hearing about court gossip. Who's the lucky man to be on your lips?" Nathaniel startled me. He was instantly behind me, and I felt his hand rest at the small of my back. I tried to hold back a blush.

"Oh.. no one my Lord. Just enjoying the view." Jacqueline purred. He winked at her. "May I borrow Lady Ayla. I would very much like to have a dance with her." His smile pierced like knives, and Jacqueline was left speechless.

I felt him guide me, and I was entranced. We danced again, and my cheeks blushed. It was nearly impossible to hide my attraction to him. I remembered what Mary, his sister, had told me.

I sighed, and composed myself.

"You look ravishing." He said, stroking the long braid that hung down to my stomach. He took the braid in his hand, and I felt the back of his hand brush my breast through my dress. I tensed, every muscle in my body was tight.

He released my hair, and moved his hand to my waist again. I was lost in his silver eyes, when a voice broke my thought like lightening.

"May I cut in?" I shuddered, not needing to know who it was before I turned around. Mr. Wellington stepped beside me, and Nathaniel released me. Mr. Wellington stepped in, and we glided onto the floor with precision.

I couldn't look into his eyes. My body was flushed with arousal and fear. I couldn't shake the memories of my dream that flooded back to me so quickly.

"I am so happy you could make it here. How do you like York?" His tone was soft, and sincere. It caught me off guard.

"It is nice, My Lord. I am adjusting to life here. And Lady Mary is quite amazing." I kept my head down, glancing at his hand on my waist. I got the same feeling from his, as I did with Nathaniel.

"I am pleased you like it. Now can you look at my face?" His hand went to my chin, and raised my face to his. We stopped dancing, and my body was still. The rest of the dancers moved around us, like we were statues. His face was inches from mine. I felt my lips quivering.

Kiss him.

It was a voice inside of me, whispering into my mind. His eyes bore into mine, and for a moment I couldn't move. I moved closer, against all reason or control. Suddenly a wave of fear hit me, and I turned my head away.

His hand left my face in an instant, and I feared I may have offended him. I looked back at him, but it was not anger in his eyes. He looked shocked, and confused. His eyes trailed my face, as if he was looking for something.

As quickly as he had appeared, Mr. Wellington had vanished.