Denial

Short chapter alert!

The next one will be short(ish) as well, and then after that I'll start doing longer chapters!!! ❤️

Thanks for those commenting on my chapters! I see them and I appreciate them, and I appreciate YOU!

Shout out to:

KATEcole2014

ittybitty20

jenkinsl

*****

Today is the day.

Today is the day that I get to leave this accursed room. Today is the day. I get to feel the sun on my face. Well, that's tomorrow.

It's only been a few days since that night in the cabin. I have had to practically beg Thaddeus to let me go outside. He finally told me that tonight I could stretch my legs and explore, and I would hold him to it.

He has barely touched me since the cabin. He hasn't kissed me, and he even went so far as to deny my advances completely. I couldn't read him anymore.

He was gone again all day; he had another meeting. A council of some kind... some kingly matter. It made my heart and my body ache to be away from him for so long.

Nathaniel was dead and yet Thaddeus had the entire ward full or sentries. He told me there were a dozen knights for my protection. There were four locks on the door of pure iron, and only Thaddeus and I had the key.

One poor servant boy was allowed in the chamber at any given time. The lad didn't dare speak to me out of fear. I wondered what Thaddeus had told them all.

I must surely seem like a lepper being confined in such a way and guarded heavily. I dreaded the thought of my reputation... I had to shake the thought of being looked at like a whore. At least whores got to be touched.

Today was the day. Sunset was quickly approaching and I knew Thaddeus would be here. I missed him immensely.

I paced for what seemed like hours, occasionally stopping to sit on the bed. I continually stared at the door and waited. My mind wandered to distant dreams. My life in the last month had been like a blur.

I found out about my family, and what had happened to them. It still bothered me that Thaddeus had been there. It seemed so long ago to me, but to him? A man that was hundreds of years old, it must have seemed like the blink of an eye.

And yet he saved me. I was only alive because of his kindness. And for that I could only love him more.

Knock knock. Knock.

"Ayla, open the door." A deep voice sang muffled behind the door. I ran and fumbled with the keys as quickly as I could. The iron locks snapped open one by one and as Thaddeus strode through the door making my heart sing inside of me.

I ran into him quickly and threw my arms around him. He remained still before he slowly put his arms to embrace me.

"I missed you." I buried my face into his chest. I felt him softly push me away from me and I fought a sob.

"I have good news." He said.

"What is it?" I stared up at him. His eyes locked mine but they felt distant.

"There is a party tonight. A grand night where you'll be able to be free from all of this." His tone grew hoarse and he swallowed.

"Tonight? That's wonderful, we can-"

"Free to find a husband." He said plainly. His words felt like a blow to my chest. I closed my mouth and turned away from him so he wouldn't see the tears nearly swelling in my eyes.

"The party will be full of only single men. You have your choice, and any of them will bend the knee to have you if you let them."

"That sounds... lovely." I spoke softly and held my words firmly. I wouldn't let him see me hurt. Not like this.

"Good." He said behind me. "I'll send Mary for you shortly and... wear something blue."

He left as quickly as he came and said nothing before he left. I fell into the bed and the tears ran like a stream from my eyes.