The Ball Part II

Unedited... don't hate me, I wanted to release this early and I'm way too tired to edit 😝 hopefully it isn't too bad ❤️ .

Seriously loving the comments and feedback, it keeps me going 😉

I had danced with nearly two dozen men so far. My feet were aching and these accursed shoes had probably cut my heels by now... And still somehow I hadn't managed to end up falling on my ass yet.

Most of the men were young, and many of them handsome to boot. There were a few widowers, and some that he simply never married out of inconvenience. Lords of trade, lords of great farmlands, and even lords of the business venture.

So many suitors, and yet... None of them had my interest. Sure, some were very handsome, some rich, and some both. But my heart broke inside. The one thing in the world I wanted was just out of reach.

I stood in the corner near a window attempting to hide from the onslaught of potential suitors. However thanks to Thaddeus, my blue dress stuck out and I was easily visible anywhere in the room. He did that in purpose.

I needed a break. I threw my arm out near a small boy that had been scurrying around half the night carrying trays of wine.

"Yes m'lady?" He bowed.

"May I have a glass of wine, please? Two if you please."

"Right away miss." He said as he quickly ran off.

I gazed through the glass pane at the beautiful night sky. The moon was bright and the light made its way around the trees and lit up everything in sight. I wanted to be out there.

"Your wine, m'lady." He said as he held up a trap with half a dozen glasses on it.

I grabbed one in each hand and smiled wide at the boy. He blushed and I winked, causing his face to turn absolutely scarlet. He nearly fell over before he bowed and quickly made his way to another groups of gathering men.

I put one of the cups to my mouth and drank in, expecting the bittersweet taste of the normal red drink. Instead this was much more sweet and I drank it greedily.

I set the cup on a small table next to the set of doors leading outside and downed the other in an equal fashion. I'd be having fun soon.

"Ayla!" I heard Elizabeth's voice behind me. I turned with a smile at the welcome distraction, but it turned to a frown when I saw she was being yet another man over to meet me. At least he looked promising.

He was much taller than me and most of the men in the room. He had long black hair that nearly touched his shoulders in a messy fashion that somehow suited his face.

As she brought him to me I couldn't help but stare at his gorgeous eyes for a split second before my eyes trailed downward towards his neck.

Marks as black as coal wound from his jawline to below his tunic.

"It is an absolute pleasure to meet you, my lady Ayla. Miss Elizabeth has told me so much about you already." He said as he extended a hand towards me. My eyes darted and, sure enough, the marks extended from his hand all the way up behind the sleeve of his blouse.

I held my composure as I let him take my hand. He placed a kiss on it and my skin became instantly covered with goosebumps. I trailed my eyes up his skin, watching as the black marks danced up his skin like wild vines.