47 | Disturbing Call

*Edited*

"As we express our gratitude, we must never Forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them" - John F. Kennedy

E L L A

The first thing I heard this morning was Anthony's voice and I smiled at the thought of my husband laying next to me.

-"Good morning Mrs.Owens" I heard Anthony say when I opened my eyes. It still sounds weird whenever he says that because I'm not used to it yet.

"You don't need to call me that all the time" I said even though I secretly loves it when he said that.

-"I know but I love the sound of it" he shrugged and I just smiled at him.

We stayed in bed for a couple more minutes before we got up because Isaac woke up. Anthony changed Isaacs diaper and got him ready for the day while I made breakfast for the three of us. I heard the phone ring but since I was busy with making breakfast I told Anthony to answer the call. There was silence and I few moments later I heard Anthony's voice.

-"Ella we have to go" Anthony rushed to the kitchen with Isaac on his arm.

"What's wrong?" I asked worried because I saw how tense Anthony was.

-"My father is in the hospital and my mother said it doesn't look good" he said and I could hear how scared he was. Even I was scared and Christian wasn't even my father I can't imagine how Anthony feels. Anthony has always been more close to his father than to his mother and they were kind of what you could call best friends his entire life. To see his best friend and father die must be the hardest thing. 

I turned off the stove and even though I was still in my pyjamas we drove to the hospital. It didn't matter how I look all that mattered in that moment was Anthony's father and that we're there for him during a situation like this. Family is all that matters. 

We arrived at the hospital and the receptionist told us in which room Christian was and we went there as fast as he could.

-"Where is he?" Anthony asked his crying mother when we saw her standing in front of a room.

-"He's dead Anthony. His heart just stopped beating" Victoria sobbed. Christian's heart stopped beating five minutes before we arrived. We were too late and we didn't get to say goodbye. If we would have been here five minutes earlier I could have told him how thankful I was for his support. I should have told him yesterday while we were dancing. I thought I still had time left to tell him that. It's a mistake humans always make. We always expect there's going to be another day for the things we want to do or achieve even though life could end any day or any second and Christian is the best example for that.

Even though I wanted to cry when I saw him laying there I had to be strong for both Victoria and Anthony who were both crying. Anthony's siblings haven't arrived yet and I'm sure they also don't know that they can't say goodbye to their father either.

-"Were you here when it happened?" Anthony asked his mother who nodded at his question. She was here during his last breath just like she promised. This is true love. 

-"Did he suffer?" He asked again

-"No he seemed to be happy. We talked before he closed his eyes and fell asleep" she said and sobbed.

-"What did he say?" I asked this time. I was curious to find out what his last words were.

-"He said that he was happy about how his life turned out. He was happy that he raised intelligent and beautiful children but sad that he wasn't able to watch all of them except from Anthony found their own family. Christian always thought Anthony would be the last one of our children to have a family and to say we were surprised is an understatement. I'm sure you aren't aware of how much you changed both mine and Christian's life for the better Ella" she said and forced a smile even in a situation like this and I can't tell you enough how amazed I am by the strength of this woman.

"Oh I am. Christian thanked me yesterday at the wedding" I replied and she looked at me surprised. 

-"Really what did he say?" she asked but before I could reply anything all three of Anthony's sibling came in and when they saw our faces and their father laying in bed they knew what was going on without even asking.

-"When?" Was Lucas' only question. Savannah wasn't able to talk because she was already crying and I walked up to her to comfort my sister-in-law.

-"20 minutes ago" Victoria answered and no more words were exchanged they just stood there and hugged each other. Victoria wanted to hold Isaac in her arms so I handed the little toddler, who had no I idea why everyone around him was crying, to her. But I feel like everyone was glad that he was there because he brought a little light to the room full of darkness.

We stayed at the hospital for one more hour before we drove back home. Anthony and I didn't talk much on our way home. None of us knew what to talk about since the only thing on our minds was that Christian died. There's nothing else I could think about and the image of Christian laying there just didn't want to leave my head. Anthony tried hard not to cry because he hates to cry especially in front of me. He thinks that he has to be strong for me and wants to protect everyone. He finds it hard to show others his weakness. And his weakness definitely is his family.

When we were home I just hugged him tight. I didn't need to say anything I knew that he just needed me to be close to him. No words could make the fact that his father died better. He just needed me to comfort him in a time where he needs me the most. He did it for me so many times and now I can show him that I'm there for him as well. .In good and in bad times as we promised.

Isaac seemed to be able to brighten up his mood because when Isaac smiled at him he already seemed to feel better. It's crazy how much impact such a small human has on a person's life without even intending to. I never knew that this kind of love existed before I held Isaac in my arms for the first time.

When I was in bed I snuggled up to Anthony who was already sleeping. When I laid there Christian came to my mind. The way he spoke to me yesterday. It feels like he knew that it was his last day. He thanked me and the way he said goodbye yesterday was different than usual. He hugged us for 10 seconds before he pulled back. He had to know that it was his last hug. There's no other way. He knew that he would be dead the next day.

I'm quite sad that Christian died he was actually one of my favorite character. This chapter was quite important for me due to several private reasons.