Chapter 29 ~ Tequila shots

"What do you have to say in your defense..." I said, glaring down at the innocent face of the strawberry thief.

After over an hour of investigation on my part I had finally concluded that it couldn't be anyone else except Hayden. He and Rick were the only ones who didn't have a solid alibi and since I'm pretty sure Rick wouldn't do such an underhanded thing that left us with Hayden.

"Can't you hear what I'm saying? I didn't take them!" Hayden exclaimed, throwing his hands out in the air. I could hear him clearly but that didn't mean I believed a word he said. The slight blush on his face told me he knew something and I was going to find out what. I didn't care how long it would take... I'd get him to confess one way or the other.

"Just tell him Hay... he won't give up until you do and for the record you only have yourself to blame." said Rick in an annoyed voice as he sent his own mate a meaningful stare. Hayden stared back at him for a second, looking like Rick had just handed his ass to the wolves... well it was true in a way...

"I... may have taken them last night... when I decided to have some fun... with my mate... maybe..." Hayden finally said and I stared at him confusion as a slight blush covered his cheeks.

"What? Having fun with Rick? Why would you need strawberries for that?" I said, earning myself surprised looks from all the other people in the room.

"Ethan please make sure this guy never looses his innocence." Vincent suddenly stated and when my own mate nodded in agreement they all started to laugh. I didn't get it in the least but then I just shrugged it of as them being crazy. Well at least now I knew who had taken the strawberries.

"Well you should really contemplate your actions. If you hadn't taken those strawberries you would have had a nice cold smoothie by now." I said, frowning in the direction of Hayden and Rick.

"Well... I think I preferred them on Rick..." Hayden muttered and I couldn't help but send him a disgusted look.

"Okay we definitely didn't need to know that you stupid casanova!" I exclaimed and I could hear Ethan chuckle at that. I'm not sure I was happy about understanding what he meant before. Now I just felt uncomfortable looking at Rick...

"Okay... change of topic! Listen Matt, come with me I have something to discuss with you!" Ash suddenly said, clapping his hands together and jumping in my direction with an excited gleam in his eyes. Ethan reached out and tugged me up against his chest before Ash had time to reach me and he didn't hesitate to throw my friend a suspicious look.

"Why do you need to speak to my mate, you can do it here in front of me... I mean us." He said, Ash immediately stopping and putting his hands at his hips. Now this would be fun... note the sarcasm.

"Now listen here, Mr. Possessive. If I want to speak to my best friend I can, with or without your consent. If you have a problem with that you can take your complaints to someone who actually cares... like Kevin! So now hands off so I can have a piece of him!" Ash growled, taking a hold of my arm to pull me out of Ethan's embrace.

Ethan was just about to open his mouth, probably to argue more, when Adam stepped up and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Take it easy Ethan, they won't go far. Let them have some time to catch up." He said in a soothing voice and I could feel my mate slowly ease his grip on me. Thank you God for people like Adam, just saying.

Just before Ash and I stepped out of the kitchen Ethan's voice said from behind us:

"Don't you dare do anything that will make me regret this Matthew."