Chapter 38 ~ Party preparations

The following weeks went by like the wind, Ethan and I trying our best to work on our differences. All in all it went pretty well. I hadn't counted on it being easy but whenever I found myself getting riled up by Ethan's possessiveness I took a deep breath and imagined life without him. The pain I had felt while being apart was enough to make me calm down and look at his actions in a whole new light.

Ethan was trying his best too and it showed. When Ash came to visit he visibly reacted but managed to leave us alone so we could have time alone when we needed it. He didn't react as strongly when Kevin came near me and he didn't growl at anyone that looked at me for more than a few seconds.

All in all, we were making progress. We were happy.

"Hey babe what do you think we should give Ash on his birthday?" I asked, looking up from the computer screen when Ethan stepped inside the room I had been holed up in for the last hour.

I was browsing the internet for any ideas on what to buy Ash for his birthday but it was turning out to be more difficult than I expected.

"How about some clothes?" Ethan suggested, leaning down to give my cheek a chaste kiss before he flopped down on the couch beside me.

"Nah... that's boring and what if we buy something that doesn't fit? I'm not sure about his size and if we ask it's going to be too obvious." I answered while scrolling down the page I was looking at.

Ethan hummed from beside me but I was too busy staring at the computer to notice his amused eye-roll.

"Movie-tickets then?"

"Bought that last year."

"Maybe some chocolate?"

"This isn't for Valentine's Ethan." I snorted, trying to stay focused as I searched the next page as well.

"Well... why don't you just say 'Happy birthday' and leave it at that?" Ethan said dryly, earning himself an unamused stare from me. I didn't even feel the need to comment on that one. He was no help whatsoever.

"We'll figure something out, now get off that boring thing and pay some attention to me." Ethan laughed, pulling my unwilling body closer to himself while I clung to the computer. I had to give it up though when the whole thing almost ended up falling on the floor.

When I'd released my grip on the computer I was dragged onto Ethan's lap and I sighed as he wrapped his arms around me. I knew there'd be no more gift-searching today when my mate slowly started sniffing my neck and playfully nibble on my skin.

"You really are no help at all..." I teased, smiling as I finally let Ethan's soft lips connect with my own.

[A few days later]

You know that feeling when you know you're not sick but you aren't entirely fine either? Yeah... that feeling... I was having it now. It started yesterday at noon and now when I was standing in front of my wardrobe trying to pick something out for Ash's birthday party I felt like it had gotten worse.

I sighed and tried to ignore the strange feeling that something was wrong and reached out to take a hold of a suit hanging behind some other clothes when I felt it. A very intense pain in my lower abdomen that had me doubling over and letting out a gasp.

"Ouch... what the hell..." I breathed as I eased down on the floor trying to press my hand against my stomach in an attempt to make it feel better. The pain didn't exactly stop but at least it eased up a little bit. I glanced around but stayed on the floor as the pain settled down some more and then I finally took a hold of the knob on the wardrobe-door and used it to get up from the floor. I had to get to the toilet.