Chapter 31 ~ Who are you?

My idea of how Lazarus looks (Matthew Terry)

_____________________________________________

When the taxi finally slowed to a stop I paid the driver and then jumped out with a quick 'thank you' to the chauffeur. I knew I had to come up with a good excuse as to why I was home but that didn't bother me right now. I was too tired to care.

When I knocked on the door I could hear Sky shout 'I'll get it' from inside and a second later he had pushed the door open. The excitement on his face disappeared when he noticed that it was me by the door and I frowned down at him as he sighed and said:

"Oh it's just you."

Why thank you for that wonderful greeting...

"Still a brat I see." I said dryly and my younger brother punched my arm in response and rolled his eyes before he turned on his heels and left me by the door. Well it's not like I had expected a big smile and a hug but he could have at least tried to look like he was happy to see me...

"Matthew?" My mother said in surprise when I stepped inside the living room and spotted her over on the couch.

"No Santa Clause." I answered dryly and I could see her roll her eyes as I flopped down in the armchair on her left. What? Stupid questions demanded stupid answers right?

"Why are you here this time of the year Santa?" My mother asked, raising an eyebrow in my direction. I didn't even know if she was speaking metaphorically or not so I just settled for a pout and replied with a simple:

"You don't want me to visit you?"

My mother looked at me for a moment in silence and then she reached for the remote and turned off the television. She turned her whole attention on me and tilted her head in mild curiosity as she asked the dreaded question:

"What happened baby? You seem a bit down."

As soon as the words had left her lips I could feel the damn tears coming and even though I tried to ignore them my mother didn't seem to want to do the same.

"Oh dear... what is wrong Matty? Come talk to me." She said, her voice turning soft as she opened her arms in my direction. I sat still for a few more seconds but then I rose from my seat and walked over to my mother.

When she wrapped her arms around me and gave me a warm hug I knew that it had been the right choice to go home. No matter what I could always go back home because my mum would be there, ready to listen to anything and everything I might have to say.

Sometimes all you need is some love from your mother and everything will instantly feel a bit better. I took a deep breath of her familiar scent and then I said:

"I messed up mum... and I don't know what to do to make it right again."

[An hour later]

I was still sitting on the couch even though my mother and I had long ago stopped talking about what happened between Ethan and me earlier. I knew that what she told me was the right thing to do but it was hard to accept it. I mean I was scared. What if he didn't want to forgive me? What then? What if I called him and he decided not to pick up?

I was staring at the phone in my hand when something suddenly slammed into the back of my head and I cursed as I dropped the phone on the floor.

"Ouch what the hell?!" I yelled, glaring at Lionel who was standing behind the couch with a pillow in his hands. My older brother smirked at me and said:

"Mum said I should come and talk to you because you're sad and depressed."

I glared at the pillow in his hands and then I reached down to pick up the phone from the floor. Good it was still in one piece.