Prologue

Cover made by hudhasmiles123 I love it!!

"Darrel, come down please." Darrel's mom shouted while quickly closing her handbag. "Coming" came back the faint reply. Soon quick footsteps were heard indicating Darrel's arrival.

"Dar,me and your father are going out. We might be back late. Take care of Dan and the make sure to lock everything before bed."

"You are? Oh mom! I just made plans with Victor!" Darrel complained. "Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. But this is important. We have to go. And I can't leave Dan alone. He's only 4. " Her mom explained kindly. "Though,you can call Victor over. He's such a good boy and Dan really likes him too'

"I guess you're right mom. As always. Also why do I have to lock? Aren't you guys coming back or something?" Darrel asked in confusion. "Dar, there's something called a key with us. Now, let me and your mom leave. We are going to be late" Darrel's father replied while entering the room.

"Ugh,thanks dad. I will lock everything. Call me if something happens."

"Hey! We are the parents here" Darrel's father teased. "Yeah yeah. Sure thing dad. Bye!" Closing the door she stormed up to her room. Closing the door she lay down on her be and buried her face in her pillow.

'Thanks a lot Dan. Every one expects me to compromise everything because of you. Can't you just grow up or something? Darrel don't go out. Darrel slow down. Darrel this. Darrel that. I can't even remember the last time mom and dad allowed me to do something I want. Ugh. Who am I kidding? He's small and it has to be done. What kind of sister would I be if I didn't compromise? It's alright. I just have to be happy with what I do. And what I do is mostly for others. So be happy. Oh yeah. Stupid. Call Victor.'

After a while, she had talked to Victor,she sat down and started her homework. Soon a knock was heard. Indubitably it was Dan.

"Come in Dan." The door slowly opened and her small brother's head was slowly revealed. "Hey Dar. I'm hungry. What do I do? There's nothing in the fridge" "Dan! You should've told me first! Don't go opening the fridge like that! What if something fell on you?" "Sorry Dar. But you seemed angry when mom and dad left."

Darrel shook her head and went to the kitchen,opening the microwave she gave Dan his dinner and then played with him until he slept.

After Dan slept Victor arrived and then they watched T.V. together after which they thought of having a midnight snack.

"Hey Dar, how about we take some brownies and cut them into circles and fill ice-cream between them? It seems like an awesome idea,don't you think so?"

"Yeah yeah sure Victor. Stealing ideas from your mom and narrating them to me doesn't work."

"What? No! How do you even know about this one?"

"Your mom gave me the first piece when I came over yesterday. You weren't home so I came back after a while"

"What? First piece!? And she didn't even tell me about it! She has betrayed me! Her own son! How could you mom? How could you?"

"Oi! Shush! Dan just slept. And dont be such a big baby.I told her not to. I knew then that you would come back late and then call in the middle of the night and apologize like an idiot interrupting my precious sleep."

Victor grumbled at that and then took out the brownies and the ice-cream to make the little 'brownie oreos.' After eating, Victor went to the guest room which he claimed to be his own room while Darrel made her way toward her room.

Slowly walking towards her room she sat and did a little bit of her homework and then was going to sleep when she remembered she was supposed to lock the windows and the door.

Quickly locking the door and the windows,she went back to her room and saw her mobile vibrating. Picking it up and answering without even looking at the caller she was stunned to hear her mom's voice.Well crying and panting to be more specific.

Alert and panicked she kept asking what happened and then finally figured out the words 'your dad' and 'shot'. That was enough to send Darrel into a sprint.

Still having her mobile to her ear and trying to tell her mother to calm down and call 911 which her mother had already done, she asked the location,and then burst into the guest room and woke up Victor and told him to keep Dan safe. And then she ran out of the door. Victor in his sleepy state just nodded and made his way to Dan's room.

Darrel then went to the location only to see the police and paramedics already on the scene. Climbing in the ambulance she was relieved to find out her father had only gotten shot on the leg and hit his head on a rock explaining his state of unconsciousness.

Later that night or better said early morning Victor came in his car along with Dan to pick up Darrel and her parents from the hospital. Entering the house everyone quietly went to their rooms and Darrel quickly hugged her dad.

"I'm so glad you're okay dad. I don't know what I've would have done if something happened to you."

"Darrel,look you're an amazing daughter and person. You've grown up enough to handle yourself well. You shouldn't let anything stop you as you make your way to success. Things will happen and most of them won't be pleasant. But you'll have to learn to live with them. If I didn't survive today, I would've wanted you to work hard and not leave your mom or your brother nor yourself lagging, in any way."

"Don't say that Dad. You are completely fine and I expect you and mom to be with me in every step of my life. Without you guys I'm nothing" Darrel cried.

"Shh..Darrel, I'm just giving you advice and you should understand it. I know what you expect. But you're a smart girl. Think logically. Will I be able to be with you through your whole life?"

Darrel shook her head sadly. "Exactly" her dad said and kissed her on her forehead. "Now go and sleep Darling, it's late. Or maybe too early" Darrel chuckled slightly and then nodded.

"Night Dad"

"Night"

Little did Darrel know that really soon she would be saying her last goodbye to her parents.