Chapter 27

"Okay, so this is the device which can make any type of glass disappear. Watch." Raymond took the small device, pressed a button on it and then attached it to the glass on the table.

"Woah! It disappeared! How!?" Darrel asked surprised.

"Magic!" Raymond said and then waved his arms around as if doing sorcery.

"Ughh." 

A knock was heard and Raymond straightened up and said 'come in'. The door opened and Darrel's mom came in.

"Dear, have you seen Taylor?"

"Mom, we had her funeral yesterday!"

"No the older Taylor. She is my friend."

"Yes ma'am. Taylor Williams is in the room  previously assigned to David."

"Okay thank you dear."

Darrel's mom left and Darrel stared at Raymond confused. 

"What?" he asked.

"Mom called you 'dear'. Why?"

"Why not? She's basically my mom. Like after I lost mine, she's taken care of me."

"What? Wait, you lost your mom?"

"She was killed." Raymond's voice scared Darrel so she quickly changed the subject.

"How old are you?"

"How old do you think I am?"

"34?"

"Ouch. I am 23."

"What!? Really!? Oh my gosh! I actually thought you were somewhere in your 30s!"

Raymond just scowled back and Darrel chuckled, "Sorry." she said and smiled sheepishly. 

The next few hours were spent in Darrel learning abut all the gadgets in the jacket. There was so much in one jacket, it scared Darrel.

"Okay, that's enough for today. My brain is tired. I am going to sleep."

"Mhm. Okay. That was 25 gadgets today. We will do more tomorrow. Oh how close were you to Cole in your few days at school?"

"We  got pretty close. Why?"

"Best friends?"

"No. Just friends. Maybe even acquaintances. I am not sure. Why!?"

"I was thinking of putting him as your team member. If that's okay with you?"

"What about Ryan and Nick?"

"All of you together, as a team."

"But there's three boys and one girl. Not fair."

"I know. Lilly and May already have their teams. So is it a no?"

"No. I mean I am fine with it."

"Oh alright. You can teach him in the next two weeks. He is a part of our agency now."

"Doesn't Secret Squad sound better?"

"No."

Darrel stuck out her tongue at him and walked out bumping into Ryan. Ryan chuckled, "Too happy to see me?"

"Keep dreaming."

Ryan then stared behind Darrel, Darrel turned around and saw the hallway was empty.She looked at him and saw him staring. Waving her hands in front of his face she asked why he was staring.

"I was obeying orders! You told me to dream!"

Darrel face palmed then chuckled.   "You are such a dork!"

"Hey! I am no duck! I am a human being!"

"I said dork. Not duck!"

Ryan laughed and then they parted ways. Walking to her room Darrel thought of how she would teach him. Then she lay on her bed, thinking.

'It's going to be so hard! I have never even taught alphabets to someone! How can I do it? Why did Raymond chose me? Well I could have easily declined. But that isn't nice. Someone else would have to do it while I sit there simply. Why am I so tired? Ugh. Stupid lights. Stupid dress. I don't wanna get up! I will just sleep like this. But what if the bill comes more because of me? Wait! Does this place even pay bills? Ughh..'

She fell asleep and after a while Nick came in to see her sleeping. He flicked off the lights and shook his head as he walked back to his room. 'She reminds me so much of my sister. I wonder why Taylor committed suicide. She didn't even say anything to me! Tears filled his eyes and he braced himself as he knew if he started crying he would want to smoke. And according to Darrel's method, he was supposed to smoke only 4 that day. And he had already done that.

--Cole's training.-- (It's going to be small excerpts of the two weeks.)

"Okay Cole. Your running speed is great. You know how to box and know self defense. That's awesome! Now we have to learn to use the gadgets, read the stars and learn the code language."

"That's okay. I will try my best. I swear!"

"Thanks Cole. That's really nice of you."

"No! That's not it! No! Don't touch that! Please! Ughh! I can't believe we are of the same age group! Cole! Sit down here! You said you won't annoy me!"

At the last words, Cole straightened up and then came back to his assigned chair. "Sorry Darrel. The globes were all so beautiful! And small!"

"Sit! Don't stand up! Now, how would you ask if the team is ready?"

" Trick question. It depends where we are standing."

"Good. So if you are standing outside the lair?"

"Are you all ready for the get-together?"

"Good. What if it's outside a school?"

"Are your backpacks ready?"

"Okay. That's good. Where's this pointing?"

"North!"

"Good."Darrel slumped in her chair, exhausted from all the teaching. Cole's facial expression morphed into one of concern and he stood up and knelt beside her chair.

"I am sorry Darrel, I will try better tomorrow."

Darrel nodded and then Cole stood up and ran out.

'Why is he so hyper today? Did he eat or drink something? Ugh!' Darrel stood up and followed him and saw him drinking Pepsi. ' He get's mad after drinking Pepsi!No wonder! Ugh!'

"Hey! Stop drinking! Give it to me!"

"You are worth it?"

Darrel nodded exhausted. Cole gave her the can and Darrel threw it away. Cole pouted and then fake cried.

"Darreell! I liked you! Now I don't!"

"Go to your room Cole. Go and sleep it of. I will see you tomorrow."

"Okay!" he exclaimed happily and then hugged her tightly and ran to his room. Darrel stood there confused but then smiled and walked to her own room.