Chapter 22

"M-murderer!"

"What!?"

"He always called himself as Mr.E because that's what he is! A mystery! Today, after 3 whole years he has sent a letter. Open it!"

Taylor opened the letter and handed it over to Raymond as a million thoughts invaded her mind. 'Why didn't he tell anyone about his mother's death? Does Darrel know? Probably not. But what is she does? It doesn't matter. The murderer of his mom sent letters and he never took action? Something's really fishy over here. It's been 3 years, isn't that enough time for the police? Like they can obviously do something about it right? They have to! And they must have!'

"Ryan you okay?"

"Yeah Taylor. I would appreciate it if you left me alone for a while."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." Taylor silently made her way out and as soon as she closed the door she was tackled to the floor and she let out a shriek in the process.

The person on her chuckled and quickly stood up and Taylor looked up to see Darrel grinning down at her. Taylor stood up and Darrel was still laughing.

"Are you out of your mind? You nearly killed me!"

"Oh shush! I am no more on that stupid wheel chair! Look! That means I get to know my team members! Awesome!"

"Yeah. Congrats girl. I have to go now."

Darrel entered Raymond's room to see him reading something. He didn't look up and talked, "Do me a favor Taylor and kindly stay out." Darrel's eyes widened but she mumbled a quick 'okay' and scrambled out. She ran to Nick's room to tell him and was about to knock on the door when she heard voices coming from inside.

She decided to go back when she overheard some words enough to make her stop in her tracks.

"Darrel knows! Unlike you she's actually nice about it! So stay away if you can't understand! Or learn something from Darrel! Leave now! I am telling you! Stay away! Don't come closer!"

"Darrel? It's always that idiot! Forget her for a while will you? She's not someone to look up to! What does she do? Huh!? Just because she understands doesn't mean she's so nice that I, your own sister have to look up to her!"

"Sister?"

Darrel backed away from the door tears filling her eyes and running to her room and laying down on her bed. 'Who was that? Was that Taylor with Nick? It can't be! She won't say something about me like that! She never has! We have been best friends for ages! What's with her? Is that really her? I can't believe it! Maybe I just refuse to.'

She stood up as a knock reached her ears. She wiped away her tears and composing herself to what was behind the door. She opened it and saw Lilly before she hugged her.

"Oh my gosh! I am so happy to have your hyperactive self back! Now I will not be the only one who would want to go for a run! My partner in crime is back!"

Darrel laughed,'At least she's happy!' "I know right! You wanna go and play now? I might receive my gadget jacket today! That's just so cool to say!"

"I know right! Also you will be branded."

"What!? Like an iron hot thing stamping on me?" Darrel asked horrified.

"Yeah. You don't know?"

"No! How is it that no one told me about it?"

"Probably because it hurts so much."

"Are you kidding me!? Please say yes!"

"I am not. It's true. I don't know why you are so surprised. It's normal for secret agents to be branded."

"No it's not!"

"Oh well. You are strong enough for it. I know it."

"I hate you!"

"Why me? I didn't invent it!"

"I know! What's gonna happen? I am going to die from the pain and humiliate myself by crying and then everyone will laugh at me an dd hate me forever. My team members won't work with me!"

"Calm down. It's not going to hurt that much. It will hurt but not too much."

"Like that makes me feel better."

"After you become a secret agent, everything seem so awesome. Like no one can ruin that moment of happiness for you. No bad guys, dark nights, landslides, nothing! And you feel invincible too! Like you just survived a branding and then have a jacket with loads of gadgets that can explode in a matter of seconds! Ugh! It's so awesome! I wish I was you right now."

"Yeah" Darrel said distracted by the tree in the field. Lilly looked were Darrel was looking and then looked at Darrel confused.

"You see something"

"Wha- No. It was just the tree."

"What about it?"

"Did you know that if you look at a cut down tree you can actually tell where North or South is?"

"Oh please. Not this again! You just happen to know facts about nature. Why!?"

"Nature is so perfect! It's unbelievable. It supports over 7 billion people yet we don't realize it's real importance."

"Yes yes. That is true, but you have to focus on becoming a secret agent now!"

"Oh yeah! Should I do something? Like get information to where I will be getting to know about my team members and jackets?"

"No. It's all planned out. All you have to do is just come down in the hall at midnight today. That's it."

"Okay." Darrel and Lilly then headed discarding the idea of playing and going back to their rooms. Sitting on her bed Darrel thought of going and seeing what Raymond had been stressed about earlier.

She then walked to Raymond's office and knocked softly. Hearing no reply she decided to peek in when a hand was placed on her shoulder.

She screamed and turned around to see Raymond standing there with an amused look on his face.

"Come in I guess." he chuckled. They went in and took a seat, Raymond looking at Darrel eyebrows raised.

" To what do I owe the pleasure?"

" Nothing. I just wanted to know why you were so mean to me."

"I believe I haven't seen you all day long."

"Well, you believe wrong."

"Okay..so when was I mad?"

"When I entered and you told, 'Taylor, kindly get lost.' "

"Oh. I didn't look up from work.. Sorry."

"That's alright. What I really wanna know is why you were so stressed whilst reading whatever you were."

"It's not something I would like to discuss."

"Okay. Also for tonight's 'ceremony' as Lilly termed it, am I going to get branded?"

"Who told you that?"

"Am I or am not?"

"You are"