Chapter 15

'Is that make up? Why does he have that? Is he okay? Maybe he has some bad skin and he is trying to cover it. Oh my god! What if it is skin cancer? Does skin cancer make your skin look bad? Who am I kidding? This is a normal high school. This is probably a normal thing for boys. I can't ask questions because we just became friends! He will immediately think I am not a good and considerate person and he is a boy! I have to be friends with him. Otherwise I will never be able to find that Cole. Girls could be friends with that boy but I don't know. He's not even standing there anymore and I am still thinking about him. Gosh! I need to go to class!'

Later that day, back at home as Darrel had stared calling it because it seemed weird to think that she lived in a lair. A home is a place with  the ones you love. And Darrel was okay with the people there. Given she only knew a few of them. 

Darrel was sitting in her room and studying Cole's file trying to connect the dots. Aiden and Cole some how looked familiar. Well, only the shape of the face did. Other than that they were complete opposites. Cole was white and had blue eyes, blonde hair and a scar down his cheek. Aiden had none of that. He was tan and had chocolate brown eyes and brown hair. He had no visible scars either.

 'Maybe that was the purpose of the make up? To make him look white and hide the scar? And he had used something in his eye which changed the color of them. And he dyed his hair? Why am I even thinking of Aiden being Cole. It could be anyone! He just somehow...clicks! I don't know! Maybe I am just being an idiot and suspecting my own friends. That's absurd though. Eh. I am just overthinking things. Aiden's not Cole.'

The door of Darrel's room opened slowly and Darrel's attention went to the new comer. Realizing it was Nick, she scooted and made room for him to sit. He came and sat down quietly and Darrel waited for him patiently. She knew it was hard for him to speak out about things and the fact that he had never had a heart to heart conversation with anyone in his life. And talking to her would obviously be hard. She is a new person to him after all.

"I smoked 8 today." he broke the silence finally.

"8!? Is that healthy?"

"What part of inhaling smoke screams healthy?"

"Right. My bad. Sorry. So tomorrow and the next three following days you will smoke 7 and a half. Then after that 7 for four more days and continuing. I think you follow. You get it right?"

"Yeah. Thanks Darrel. I appreciate your work."

Darrel smiled and then started thinking why she didn't google any information. She should have fact checked and seen other ways to quit addiction.

"I'm sorry" she blurted out scaring Nick and confusing him at the same time.

"What for?"

"You say you are thanks for my effort when I did nothing. i just said something I once read. I didn't read anything which was true and like had a science behind it or whatever. And you-"

"No Darrel. It's not about the facts that you are saying and I am your experimental human. It's about the fact that you care enough to let me in when you are sleepy and the fact that you cared enough to listen me rant. These are the things that actually matter."

Darrel stared at him in awe and then shook her head. "Wow. How did you..What? You actually mean it?"

"Of course. Now go to sleep. Sweet dreams. Thanks again."

Nick went out of the room and then Darrel climbed into her bed and then spent half the night reading articles. She realized the fact that she told Nick had actually been a part of the method of getting rid of an addiction. She was ecstatic and finally slept at 2am. 

The next morning Lilly, one of Darrel's new friends almost broke the room to Darrel's room by knocking it. Darrel woke up with a start and fell down her bed as she was entangled in her blanket and as if that wasn't enough, her laptop fell on her. She groaned and wished she could sleep again but the pounding of her door and the screams behind it along with the bunch of things on her wouldn't be a ideal for a sleep.

She stood up pushing away the laptop and then pushed off her covers and stood up feeling drowsy. She groaned again and finally opened the door. Lilly gaped at and then started shouting. Darrel was to sleepy to understand and just stared at her for a few moments and then finally caught on.

"Are you kidding me? Today's a Saturday. Schools and offices are off on Saturdays. Is that why you tried to give me a heart attack?"

"No! Today's a Friday! Check the calendar."

"If I am not sure of the date and day..how's a calendar going to help me?"

"Oh. Let me ask Raymond."

Darrel closed the door and went back to bed and then slept almost immediately. After a while Lilly came in her room and woke her up.

"Sorry about that. Today is a Saturday."

"Hmm..It no probs."

"Oh okay? If you are hungry come downstairs."

"K."

Lilly left and Darrel went back to her peaceful slumber. After five hours of more sleep she woke up herself and then gasped and jumped up as she realized she had missed school. After a few seconds of panicking she realized that it was a Saturday and so it was a holiday.  She relaxed and then dressed up and went downstairs.

Raymond was standing downstairs and smirked at her when she came down. He was leaning against the table. He had been busy for the past few days and Darrel hadn't gotten a hold of him since. He had text messaged he and asked about school a several times. But he had never replied to any of her replies.

"Guess who's getting punished today?"