Chapter 11

"This place is so creepy! Why are we here?"

"Don't complain Darrel. You agreed to come here. We didn't force you to."

"You convinced me!"

"Yeah. But this is fun don't you think so Nick?"

"Yeah."

Ever since they had come to the forest, Nick had been quiet. He was really excited about coming into the forest but now he was very quiet. Darrel and Ryan asked him if he was okay but he just ignored them. Ryan and Darrel just shrugged and tried to include him into every conversation they both had. 

"Darrel you have to remember that if something comes and kills me..I hate you"

"Don't worry Ryan I will remember that"

"What you really have to remember is that I have a dagger on me, take it and throw it anyone who comes to hurt you."

"Don't throw it! Use it to protect you from all four sides!" 

Ryan smirked and Darrel saw that and then realized what he was doing. She played along, "Why should I not throw it?"

"Daggers are short but very sharp. You can easily use it to hurt the one in front of you."

"Finally! The Nerdy Nick is back!" Ryan hollered

"Hush! I was just trying to help Darrel with surviving."

"But why are you so quiet?"

"My best friend got lost here. I don't know why I agreed to come here. Ryan, you just convinced me. I was reminded of my best friend. He was just like you. And I can never forget that day. It clear as daylight."

"But it's night time!" Ryan whispered to Darrel. Darrel smacked him and motioned him to be quiet.

"We were walking down the path from the other side of this forest and suddenly two people came and started attacking us. At that time I had just started training and couldn't fight them. Then I was thrown to the side and I passed out. After a while, when I woke up, he was in front of me and was bleeding a lot. I helped him as much as I could but it was all in vain. He had passed away long before we even made out of the forest. I was haunted by the incident for years. Then it just faded. It still haunts me. But the amount of work just distracts me and I forget about it-"

Nick continued but Darrel was distracted. 'This is how he deals with pain? Works it off? So if I busy myself will I forget the pain? Maybe..let's see if it works.' She shook her head and looked up and saw that Nick was quiet again, now Ryan was speaking.

"And blue muffins look like they traveled the land of Smurfs and came on our plates. How are they even blue? And why are they blue? Is it for a tribute to Smurfs? I love them. Have you seen the cartoon? They are so awesome!"

"Yes Ryan. You made me watch them. Remember?"

"Oh yeah! I forgot. Oh! Oh! I love coffee too. Look at the ground! It's like coffee seeds. Wait! What if they pick the soil from this ground and clean it a little,and then sell it as coffee? Or did they sprinkle coffee hear?"

"None of that happens Ryan. Soil and coffee seeds are two different things! Focus on the path."

Darrel was confused by his sudden change in behavior. He was just thinking with her why Nick wasn't talking and then now he's talking like a child. 

"What happened to him?" she asked Nick.

"I think he forgot his meds."

"For?"

"I'm not sure."

"Oh."

"Woah! Look out." Nick shout out and pulled Darrel and Ryan behind a tree. 

"What-" Ryan started but Nick put his hand on his mouth.

Darrel stayed quiet and looked forward. It was dark and they had dropped their flashlights. She couldn't see nor hear anything She wondered why Nick had pulled them.

'Did he hallucinate something? Is that why he pulled us?'' She looked closer but saw no movements. She turned around and saw that Ryan and Nick weren't behind her.

A wave of fear rushed through her and she felt her heartbeat accelerate. She slowly stood up. Her eyes filled with tears and she took deep breaths to calm herself down. She walked toward and kept herself as discreet as possible.

'I shouldn't have come here. Oh my gosh, Ryan and Nick, where are you? What should I do? Should I shout their names once?' She sensed a movement behind her and ran as fast as her legs could take her.

She didn't even look back and kept running.  But the footsteps followed her and after a while she heard a familiar voice call out 'Darrel'. She then realized that it was Ryan and Nick following her. She stopped and turned around to make sure. And it was true. Two figures with flashlights materialized from the darkness and she ran toward them and hugged them.

"Oh my gosh! I thought I lost you guys and was lost. When you started running behind me I thought it was what you spotted."

"I spotted?"

"You pulled us to the side and hid us behind a tree?"

"That never happened! We were walking when we realized that that you weren't talking and when you we called you, you started running."

"What? That's impossible. You pulled us behind tree hiding us from something."

"That actually never happened. Maybe you just imagined it. You weren't talking. So you were probably thinking and well you just thought of a scenario like that."

"I guess you are right." Darrel said and they continued walking.

The rest of the time they just walked and Ryan talked about the rumor about the presence of vampires and werewolves in the forest. He then started talking about witches and people who could see the future when Darrel suddenly fell down. The both of them helped her up and saw that her leg had been caught in the root. Darrel felt something weird happen to her body bust she shrugged it off.

 They continued walking but they soon got bored as they realized that none of what they had heard was true. They turned around and started walking back to their house. Then suddenly Nick spotted something and pulled them all behind a tree. Darrel was in shock as she saw Ryan start talking and Nick putting a hand over Ryan's mouth. But then something wrapped around her neck and she screamed and saw Nick and Ryan running away. She soon felt darkness taking over her.