Chapter 1

Cover made by hudhasmiles123 Thanks a lot! I love it!

"Why are we here again? I thought we were going to spend the day together" whined Dan clutching onto his sister's hand. "Shh,I'm sorry Dan. You know I'm searching an apartment for us right? I've found one but I just need the money okay? And for that I've have to work. So stay at Victors'. He's awesome right?"

"Thanks, Dar. Though you should tell that to me. No need to shy away. I'm only a cookie monster. I won't eat you. Will I Dany boy?" came Victor's voice from behind Darrel and he picked up Dan in his arms making Dan laugh loudly."

"Oh be quiet. You're not amazing. You're just good at babysitting Dan."

"I know I know." chuckled Victor. "Anyways, staying over tonight?"

"No. I have money to work for Victor. I can't skip all these small opportunities. After a couple of weeks I will be able to buy an apartment."

"You know there's something called 'taking from others' right? You can take my money. It's mine, not even mom's nor dad's. I still have the money we both collected together over the holidays an-"

He cut off mid-sentence as he remembered the cold shoulder Darrel had given him for two whole weeks as he had secretly put money in her wallet. Apparently she knew exactly how much she had and even remembered the correct amount of the coins she had. He shook his head at his best friend's stubbornness and took Dan home as Darrel made her way to her work.

Darrel had been going up an down the city for months now in search of jobs to earn money. She worked 24/7 and hardly got time for her brother. She had always been a hard-working girl but after the death of her parents she had been more hard-working than ever. And to top all of it, the landlord who had a hatred for her parents, took away the apartment as 'Darrel was a legal adult and should work for her own'. No amount of persuasion or pleading would work and the apartment was taken away in a week.

Victor had been really mad but Darrel stopped him from filing a report as it would add even more drama to her ruined life. And now,even after selling all her things except her mobile and two pairs of clothes she still had to work a lot as no permanent job is given to a girl who has just finished high school.

She was a waitress at a cafeteria and would volunteer here and there in her break.

Darrel sighed as she passed the dark streets shuddering at the memories filled in the darkness. Her eyes filled with tears,but she stopped herself as she tried convincing herself that it wouldn't be something her parents and want. Ever since her parent's had passed away she had been more sensitive than usual and sometimes her co-workers even suggested therapy but she obviously didn't listen to them and continued her normal routine.

She still remembered the day clearly,as if was just yesterday. She had been waiting for parents to come back home,but the got a call from her mother saying that her father had been shot. This was the second time this had happened. Panicked she quickly told Victor who had been up with her to take the sleeping Dan to his own home as she ran over to the location her mom explained over the phone. Darrel quickly understood where they were even though her mother explained through many gasps and cries. And then he mother's sentence was cut off with her scream and the phone went off too. By the time Darrel had reached the place had already been sealed as the police investigated it and the paramedics had already taken her parents to the hospital.

'Talk about dèjavu' she thought bitterly.

Shaking off the thoughts she decided to analyse how her life had changed over the years. Except selling all of her stuff and taking every responsibility into her own hands, she was still the over-protective sister and hard-working girl. And her brother, he was still as clingy as ever. He hadn't understood what had happened until Darrel explained to him that their parents were never coming back. After he realized what had happened he cried so much that even Darrel had started crying from exasperation. Victor had cried too but he stayed strong for the siblings.

He distracted Dan in every possible way and made sure to keep Darrel as cheery a possible. Darrel would see through all of his stupid and goofy attempts to be a clown and make her and Dan laugh but she was really happy to have someone like him in her life. He had taken a great share of her responsibility- Dan, though Darrel wasn't very proud of it. Still she showed her appreciation to him in every way possible.

All of the thoughts, and Darrel had already reached her work place. Sighing she entered the horrible cafeteria. It always had grumpy customers and you had to be overly happy with them in order to please them. And neither of the workers there talked to Darrel. Only the manager, a cheery old lady was Darrel's friend there.

Darrel knew she had to worker longer that day as the next day was a Sunday and anyone hardly came. It would be near to impossible to help someone out too. Sunday was the only day she had fun with Dan and Victor.

"Just wish that the good old days somehow came back"