Chapter 3

The pain she felt at that moment was almost unbearable. It was like the whole world had crashed on her. Her brain could only register one thing; PAIN. Her thoughts all muddled up together and she just wanted to cry out. From confusion, frustration, anger and overall-  pain. Darrel never thought that a bullet could hurt so much.

She now couldn't believe the fact that her father had to go through the same pain, twice. Trying her best to at least sit up, she grit her teeth to stop herself from screaming and after a lot of effort, she finally sat. Right at that moment she remembered that she was in a middle of an alleyway escaping from her kidnappers/spies. And as soon as that thought cleared her head, she remembered Dan.

"DAN!" she almost  shout out in realization. Looking around she saw Dan lying on the ground a few feet away from her. She looked behind and saw the people still fighting  Victor.

She tried her best to stand up and made sure that she didn't do anything that could draw attention to herself. Standing up, the pain in her leg increased and she could practically feel the blood rushing out of the wound.

She took off the scarf that was around her neck and tied it above the wound. She limped as fast as she could towards Dan and picked him up. Seeing him motionless made her alert and she grew horrified at the same time.

She quickly checked his breathing and pulse and was some what relieved. Making herself ready for a run, she took a deep breathe in and started running. It was really hard but the determination to save her brother over came the physical pain and she was finally out of the dark alley.

Fortunately she remembered seeing a hospital near the mall they were previously going to go to. Running toward the mall she waited a while to calm herself and recompose herself. She looked around trying to remember where the hospital was and saw many people giving her strange looks. Ignoring them she saw the hospital and ran toward it. 

Entering the building she rushed to the emergency section. All the patients and the other people were shocked at the loud noise she made by banging open the entrance door. Thankfully it wasn't made out of glass otherwise it would have broken. Going over to the reception  at the corner of the room she informed about Dan's condition and just a few sentences of her explanation were enough to make the receptionist call the nurses. They came and took her in the room. At that moment she was content that her brother was going to okay. That's when she remembered Victor. 

'Oh my gosh! That poor boy! But what do i do? This is really hard. I should go to Victor's help though. Dan will be okay in a hospital.'

"Um, excuse me Ma'm, I really have to go. I'm in an emergency, um, can you please call this number and inform about this patient. Thank you." She handed her a piece of paper with Victor's father's mobile number on it.

With that Darrel was ready to go out of the room when the nurse stopped her. 

"Miss, you should stop too. You're injured as well."

"No! I will be fine. Thanks though. Bye!"

The nurse came behind her but Darrell ran out of the hospital. 'Oh my gosh, I'm so stupid. I should've hurried. What if they killed Victor? Or kidnapped him? I totally forgot about him! I really am mad. Ugh! I can't believe I forgot him. If I save him he will be so injured and bruised that he would never forgive me. Then I will lose my only friend. Dan will lose a place of stay because of me. I'm a horrible sister and friend. I'm sorry Dan and Victor. Probably sorry to mom and dad too as I'm not as good as they expected me to be.' 

Slowing down upon reaching the alleyway she cautiously inched towards the spot where she had seen  the spies. There were no voices and this fact made Darrel scared and angry. She kept on going forward until she reached the end of the alley. Tears welled in he eyes and she almost broke down but a hand covered her mouth. Horrified she fought back but this time, the figure behind her had been prepared. They had a chloroform infused cloth with them to knock out Darrel. As Darrel realized what was in the figures hand, she felt darkness taking over her world and no amount of fight overcame that power.

'Where's your fight now little girl?' Antonio,her captor  thought in amusement. He had to admit that she had been pretty strong throughout the fight and even had the energy to run after she had been shot in the log. Looking down at her leg he realized that the bullet had just grazed past her leg. 'Ah, no wonder she had the strength. And she's dumb to come back here. Did she want to comeback to us or something? Didn't she realize that when she ran off with that little boy? Oh! I get it now. She probably came for the big boy here.Well, she's in for a really long time now.'

With that he put her in the backseat of the waiting car and closed the door. He sat beside Valentin, the most hated and quiet guy of the gang. As Valentin started the car and they made their way towards their lair, Antonio's mind filled with thoughts again.This was his first mission and he already felt accomplished. but there was a small part of him felt guilty for kidnapping two young children. 'But what can I do? It was an order and I had to follow it. This is all for you mom. I know she told me to earn a living and she obviously meant through all the right ways, but what should I do when no one is willing to give me a job.'

After reaching the lair, Antonio took out Darrel and carried her to the basement. Valentin came with him and then he told Antonio to inform Alberto-their gang leader that Victor and Darrel were where they're supposed to be at that moment. Antonio obeyed and went away and Valentin took care of Darrel.

After a couple of hours, Alberto was really annoyed. "How much chloroform did you get that girl? The boy is really useless. He knows nothing about that American gang."

"Why would they know about them? They are just kids?"

"That girl's name was in their records."