Chapter 20

Taylor peeked over the bush and stared and the sight in front of her, lowered back to her position and then pressed the hidden ear piece, "She's stuck. Can I go now?"

Her ear filled with voice, "How much time left?"

"30 seconds."

"Wait for 10 more."

She sighed knowing it was hopeless fighting with the man. She peeked back up to see Darrel wriggling with much ferocity and making little process. Taylor shook her head at the desperate attempts and then looked down at the timer then contacted her back ups again, "Times up, what do I say to her?"

"She's in too much panic to be curious. Go ahead. And stick to the truth just in case."

"Kay."

Taylor jumped up from her position reaching inside her jacket whilst running and taking out the small device. Darrel saw Taylor approach and reached out in attempt to grab her. Taylor just bent down beneath Darrel and stuck the small device to the wall and moved back. Darrel's mind clouded with confusion and her ray of hope disappeared and she wriggled again this time successfully and flying out to the ground. Taylor bent to Darrel and picked her up as fast as possible and then dragged Darrel away from the building.

 Darrel didn't care if the woman was kidnapping her or helping her. All that mattered was the fact that she was helping her. Darrel tried not be a burden and did her best to help herself but her body had given up.

Taylor sighed as she knew the bomb was going to explode any second now and the small explosive device had already exploded. She looked at the worn out Darrel and then carried her to the van. Laying Darrel down on the open space she looked at Darrel to see her fainted or maybe sleeping. Taylor wasn't sure.

Taylor left Darrel at the back of the van and then closed the doors walking forward and driving the van home. 'One strong girl they say. Smart and clever too. Don't know where all of that went as she was trapped. Who tries to wriggle out a broken ventilator of a basement. Didn't she think of the fact that it was a basement and there was another emergency exit? Well, she's a newbie after all. Can't blame her. She's young too. Poor her.'

They reached the lair and Taylor immediately rushed out and then rapped the door. Raymond and his father immediately came out as if waiting for the knocks. Raymond rushed to the back of the van and then Taylor followed suit moving away Raymond as reached towards Darrel. Raymond backed up and Taylor easily picked up Darrel as she had fallen limp unlike before when she was struggling and trying to stand up straight.

Taylor walked in and then left Darrel to the doctor's room and walked to Raymond's office. She knocked softly before entering the office. Raymond sat there looking emotionless as usual. But Taylor hadn't missed all the times he would show a his worry and then pretend that nothing had happened. Like now.

"The bomb obviously exploded, caused no damage to the school. Apparently she had stacked that whole basement on the small thing. She was stuck in the ventilator forgetting that all basements have an emergency exit. She's injured her legs and her hands were bruised along with cuts. Nothing else."

"Thanks Taylor. Are you okay?" Raymond surprised Taylor with the question. 'He never asks about me! Is he dying?"

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Just asking. Thanks."

"Y-your welcome?"

Raymond smiled and then turned to work. That meant that Taylor had to go. "Have a nice day."

"T-thanks."

Taylor left the office surprised with the sudden small talk with Raymond. He was always very business like and replied with  curt answers. This was the longest they had ever conversed.'Well, I really hope Darrel is okay. She was pretty hurt. And this is her first mission after all. Let's go see that little newbie.' 

She went to the doctor's room and saw Darrel sleeping all patched up. The doctor, Madeline, looked up surprised at Taylor's arrival.

"Are you allowed to be here?"

"Why not Madie?"

"Darrel doesn't know about you being her guardian. Are you sure?" 

"Raymond didn't mind before, I am pretty sure he doesn't now."

"Okay. Darrel's been stirring in her sleep for a couple of minutes. I am gonna head out now. Call me if she wakes up."

"Kay."

Taylor went and sat beside Darrel and then immediately stood up as Darrel moved in her sleep again. After a few minutes, Darrel woke up and gasped and then breathed heavily and Taylor rushed out to call Madeline.

'Oh my gosh! Where on Earth am I? Why is it so bright? Ugh! Wait a second! Is that bandage? Wait another second! Am I in a hospital!? How did I get here? Ohh! The girl from before! The bomb! Oh my gosh! The teachers! Aiden being Cole! I failed my mission! I am gonna be killed. All those teachers died because of my foolishness! I just had to be slower than that idiot of a Cole. Well I have no idea what to do. I should probably just wait and see. How long do I have to wait though? I should have been left there to die with all those teachers! If they didn't survive I don't know why I should? Wait! It was a basement! A BASEMENT!! Oh my gosh! I am so stupid! Basement is under a building which means it has stairs for entry and always, ALWAYS, an emergency exit! Oh my gosh! I could have escaped and oh!'

Her train of thoughts cut off as she felt a hand lightly slapping her. She gasped and looked up at a doctor staring at her. She gasped and then tried to sit up. The doctor helped her do so and offered her a glass of water. Darrel thanked her and gulped down the water as fast as she could.

"How are you feeling Darrel?"

"F-fine. My legs hurt a lot though. And I don't know why breathing hurts a little."

"It's the bruised ribs of yours."

"What is the total damage?" Darrel really wanted to know about the teachers but wasn't sure if the doctor was from her agency or not.

"A couple of bruised ribs, wrist and many cuts down your legs. Your left leg is broken and will take a couple or more weeks to heal."

"Wow."

At that moment the door opened and in came Raymond a very very angry look on his face.

--------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks for reading. I am not sure if a basement is supposed to have an emergency exit or something like that. But this is a story right? And my story. So some stupidity is allowed. Also note that all of my chapters are unedited. So if there are mistakes and typos..I am sorry bout that.