Lost

My shoulders was aching from hours of grueling rowing. My skin was blistering from the scorching sun beating down on my back. Hunger was working it's way into my belly not to mention my throat felt like sandpaper from thirst. I had only two missions, one being keeping Silver safe and the other finding land. I woke a few hours after our narrow escape with Silver draped across me. Gently I moved her enough to scoot from under her then took my shirt off and laid it over her. Her delicate skin was showing pinkness and I tried to provide some cover for her. I observed my surroundings to try and determine where we may be drifting. I watched the flow of the current, felt the water temperature, wind patterns, bird species, and tried to spot and identify fish. If my knowledge was correct I'd guess we were somewhere near the Philippines, how far off I wasn't sure. As I was looking off into the vast expanse of water I heard a slight mumble. Turning to check on Silver I saw her stirring. After a few moment's she struggled to sit up obviously sore from being thrashed around during the storm. "How you feeling kitten?"

Squinting her eye's from the bright sun she yawned. "I've seen better days". Nodding my agreement she continued. "Where are we?"

"No promises but I'm guessing near the Philippines".

She was silent for a bit then asked softly. "The other's?"

Knowing she needed to talk about the events I secured the oars, greatful for a break and turned toward her. Looking at her sympathetic I spoke softly because it affected me as well. I lost some great crewmembers as well as friends. "Honestly I don't believe any made it and if they did their in the same situation as us".

Looking down into the floorboards of the dingy I heard her sniffle. "I tried to save her and we was doing good until we was hit with debris and the current ripped her from my grip. I saw the look of defeat in her eye's as the current drug her down. I couldn't help her."

Feeling as if Silver needed comforting I pulled her to me and spoke in soothing tones as she cried. "You did a brave thing kitten. Most wouldn't risk their own life to save a stranger. It isn't you fault though, it was the circumstance. We barely made it out ourselves".

After a few moment's she pulled away setting back up wiping her eye's. "I saw so many die and, and...."

Silver paused and I knew what she was thinking. Cupping her face gently between my hands I tried to sound convincing. "I had to Silver. It was either you or Leyla and I'd choose you over her or anyone else for that matter. If I hadn't done what I did she wouldn't have stopped and we would probably all be dead. If it's any solace, I made sure I knocked her out cold so she wouldn't suffer".

Silver let loose a new set of tears and I knew no matter how I phrased it, it sounded harsh and cold. "I'm sorry you had to see this, any of this. I'm to blame for it all. It's my fault you are even here in this situation".

Wiping her eye's once again she asked. "How bad is our situation Sabastion?"

Trying to be as honest as I could without frightening her further I explained. "We face a lot of different scenarios out here kitten. We could happen upon a ship and be rescued, spot land, possibly drift back into the storm. Time is our biggest enemy. We can't drift along without food or water in this boiling heat for long. I'll do my damnest to keep us alive, just be strong for me okay?"

Silver nodded her head and weakly mumbled "kay".

Turning back around I picked the oars back up to resume my rowing. "Wait. I'll do that for awhile so you can rest." Handing me my shirt she made a move to take over. Sliding my shirt on I laid back to rest. When I woke the moon was shining on the water and Silver was steadily rowing. "I've got it now kitten".

And that's how we spent the next few day's, taking turns rowing, battling our hunger and thirst and telling each other stories to keep our spirits up. I was in a deep sleep when I felt Silver nudge me and ask with excitement "wake up Sabastion. Look do you see it?"

Sitting up I followed her pointed finger and saw in the twilight land. "Mother of Mary, it's land, it's land."
I yelled as Silver busted into giggles of relief. Wrapping her up in a hug we whooped and yelled at our victory. Civilization at last. Taking over at the oars I rowed with a new found energy while Silver leaned over the lip of the boat much like a puppy hangs his head from a car window. Our enthusiasm was short lived as we neared the shore. There was no sign of people, buildings, nothing. Just wild vegetation loomed before us. As our feet touched the sand Silver helped me lug the dingy onto shore. We both looked around at this deserted island wondering what to do now. Catching Silver edging toward the woods I stopped her. "Stay by me kitten, we don't know what may inhibit these lands".

Stopping abruptly she scuttled back to me. "Do you mean tribes?" She asked worridly.

"Can't rule it out. Animals as well. My gun miraculously remained intact during the storm and is in my waistband. For now we should try to set up a camp, get a fire going and round up some food"

My first thought was food as I made a makeshift bow from a stick and found some twine like vines. Reaching in my pocket I tossed Silver my knife and asked her to find a sturdy stick and try to make a spear. Within thirty minutes I had a fire going and Silver had managed to carve two spears out. We both sat out for the water in search of food. Spearing a fish was way harder than it looked and my failed attempts along with my hunger made me irritable. Silver's squeal caused me to run her way with concern. As I got nearer she held her spear up much like a tribal person and had a crab dangling from it. Laughing at her elated expression I pulled it off and we ran back to the fire. As I prepared to cook the crab I watched in awe as Silver made a spindle cooking device from sticks. Grinning she said. "Girl Scouts".

I shoved the stick through the crab and turned it evenly over the flames. As I was doing that Silver found a empty coconut shell and turned it into a makeshift bowl. Gathering some ocean water she placed it over the fire  to boil for our drinking. We shared the crab and Silver showed no shame as she licked her fingers afterwards while laughing. Afterwards I leaned back as Silver got up and explored the tree line. "I found a good spot to make a shelter" she called out as she started to clear the area. Getting up from my comfort I went to help. With sticks and vines we were able to construct a frame and she hunted down huge, fern like leaves to use for our bedding and roofing. Next she found Spanish moss to place on our bedding to make it a bit softer. Finally she settled down with handfuls of vines and started a weaving action. "What are you doing now kitten?"

Smirking she continued her work as she answered. "I'm making a net in hopes of snagging fish. I don't know about you Sabastion but I for one refuse to eat any grub worms or bugs".

Laughing I had to admit I was impressed with her survival knowledge. Also in the back of my mind I kept wondering how long we could survive here and what my next move should be. Needless to say Silver's net was a sensation and we went to sleep with full bellies that night.